Installing Linux on Desktop PC

Wike1970

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everybody

I would like to ask for advice. I have a desktop PC with a Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHz CPU and a GeForce GT610 GPU. And as of now it is runing Windows 10 Pro. But I have started hate Windows because I think Microsoft has too much to say on Windows. So I have started to think of installing Linux on it. But there is one odd thing with this desktop PC and it is that it has 2 HDD on it. One is 500Gb and the second one is 250Gb. How would a Linux system see on this and would it be possible to use both in a Linux system? There is also the GPU that I am bit odd. There is also how would a Linux system see sound? There on-board sound card on the mother board if I remember correct. I hope someone can give me some advice about installing Linux on it? And what kind of Linux sound one take for a computer like the one a said about?

Yours
Christer

hello Wike1970 , the way i would approach it is to first clarify what you have and whats installed where. Windows is presumably installed on one hard drive , so whats on the other if anything ?

Almost sounds like a custom build rather than off the shelf, but things change fast and i haven't been in the market for desktops; all the last few of mine were built then i just went for a laptop.

My laptop is basic with on board graphics and on board sound. Linux can handle both no problem. A scenario i could imagine is that you would install Linux onto which ever is the spare hard drive. The boot loader of the Linux that was installed would most likely be "grub 2". That from what i've read should be able to give you the choice of booting either from Windows from one of the hard drive OR Linux on the other.

Personally i would boot a Linux live OS from a usb stick and use gParted to see what it can see and take a screen shot. I don't think you expressed a preference for any particular Linux distro so you might elaborate on that . Then your next question is likely to be so how do i use a USb stick and how do i put a linux OS on it ?

Hi Everybody

I forgot One thing with this Desktop PC I use a USB Wi-fi connection on it. I tested FerenOS KDE on it and this USB Wi-fi connection doesn't work it. I don't remember what is called. So is there anyway to get a USB Wi-fi connection Up and running on any Linux destro or should stay with Windows 10 Pro. I am not sure how to get it to work on a Linux system. We use it because the Wired connection is not working in the mother board. It broke down some time ago so bought a USB Wi-fi connection for it instead.

Yours
Christer Wickman

An easy way to get a wired internet connection again on the desktop is to purchase and install a PCI wired internet adapter card an inexpensive and easy repair.

Just make certain it will work with Linux most wired internet adapter cards do.
It should detect and install drivers at first power up.

Last edited by a moderator: