Installing Linux on a Samsung XE300TZC

WylieCoyote

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I wonder if someone may be able to help?

The tablet came with Win8, now running Win10, very slow in 8, and no better in 10.

Can I install Linux and get reasonable functionality, If so, how do I do this?

Samsung says;
'While your Samsung Tablet PC likely meets the minimum system requirements of most Linux distributions (with the exception of an optical disc drive), Samsung only provides support for the pre-installed OS (Windows). We do not provide drivers, information or troubleshooting for alternate Operating Systems.

While Samsung does not offer Linux support, there are many useful sites providing information and troubleshooting for Linux. With a quick search of the topic you can access a large variety of resources.'

Thank you in advance
WylieCoyote

What model Samsung is it? What chip does it have?

Thanks for the reply

It has :

Intel® ATOM™ Processor Z2760 @1.8GHz
Main Memory
Memory type: LPDDR2 SDRAM on board 2GB
Main Chipset
Intel® Clovertrail
Storage Device
e.MMC iNAND™ Embedded Flash Drive
Graphics
Intel® SGX545 (Internal)

Hi @WylieCoyote, and welcome to the site.

I'm not finding very much with Google to help you out. But what I've read over the years is that Linux has never really been a very good experience on tablets or phones, even if you can make it work. And making it work can be more than a minor headache too. Drivers are often not available to make sound and/or wireless work. It may help if you can root the device, but I don't see anything about that for your device either (of course, it is built with Windows and not Android, so maybe that is why there is little info).

If you really want to run Linux on a tablet, I would recommend searching for specific tablet models that make this possible in a relatively sane manner (those you can root and change bootloaders). Even that may be more trouble that you realize. Tablets (in general) have not been made Linux-friendly, or else you would find lots of people doing it... and they're not. That's just the sad reality, IMO. Sorry.

But if you pursue it further, I do wish you luck! You might begin by Googling for "Ubuntu Touch" as it's goal was to install on tablets and phones. It is still active by another group, but it has been discontinued by Ubuntu.

Cheers

Hi @WylieCoyote, and welcome to the site.

I'm not finding very much with Google to help you out. But what I've read over the years is that Linux has never really been a very good experience on tablets or phones, even if you can make it work. And making it work can be more than a minor headache too. Drivers are often not available to make sound and/or wireless work. It may help if you can root the device, but I don't see anything about that for your device either (of course, it is built with Windows and not Android, so maybe that is why there is little info).

If you really want to run Linux on a tablet, I would recommend searching for specific tablet models that make this possible in a relatively sane manner (those you can root and change bootloaders). Even that may be more trouble that you realize. Tablets (in general) have not been made Linux-friendly, or else you would find lots of people doing it... and they're not. That's just the sad reality, IMO. Sorry.

But if you pursue it further, I do wish you luck! You might begin by Googling for "Ubuntu Touch" as it's goal was to install on tablets and phones. It is still active by another group, but it has been discontinued by Ubuntu.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply

It has :

Intel® ATOM™ Processor Z2760 @1.8GHz
Main Memory
Memory type: LPDDR2 SDRAM on board 2GB
Main Chipset
Intel® Clovertrail
Storage Device
e.MMC iNAND™ Embedded Flash Drive
Graphics
Intel® SGX545 (Internal)

I don't know what model you have. If it's a Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T, it looks like a PITA to install Linux, but you could give it a whirl:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2312779

EDIT: Please forgive my stupidity.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts