Installing Kali 2021.4 on VM player 16 issues!!

frosty_birch

Reaction score
Credits
I've just went through and updated and upgraded everything, changed the BIOS setting for vm access to hardware. For some reason about halfway through my process of installation of the .ISO on the VM, it locks my pc up. hard reset is the only way to get it back up. and when I power on the vm I was creating it is black screen. Went to the boot menu on the vm and it said "OS not found' what am I missing?? It's the 64 bit installer im trying to put on there. Also, my machine is a lenovo x220 thinkpad.

I've just went through and updated and upgraded everything, changed the BIOS setting for vm access to hardware. For some reason about halfway through my process of installation of the .ISO on the VM, it locks my pc up. hard reset is the only way to get it back up. and when I power on the vm I was creating it is black screen. Went to the boot menu on the vm and it said "OS not found' what am I missing?? It's the 64 bit installer im trying to put on there. Also, my machine is a lenovo x220 thinkpad.
Kali Linux has documentations on how to set it up on a virtual machine already, follow those steps.

Kali Linux has documentations on how to set it up on a virtual machine already, follow those steI did
Kali Linux has documentations on how to set it up on a virtual machine already, follow those steps.
I did try to use the pre set up VM. However, with it not being an ISO type, I was unable to select it. I do apologize, I am quite new to Linux. As well as VM's.

Go with another Linux distro.

I just tried to make the file's default launching VMware and it said file corrupt on the amd64.7z file

I just tried to make the file's default launching VMware and it said file corrupt on the amd64.7z file
Download the iso file and follow their documentation.

vmware.com/info?id=238&build=18811642 << is the URL it brings me to using the documentation, step by step, from KALI.org. even though its shows workstation 15 on their website I'm assuming it should still work the same. however the link I provided will not load up for me. So, when I got to this point, I was hoping someone has already ran into this specifically and could help me a slight bit better. like with some specifics.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-12-14 11-47-08.png
    Screenshot from 2021-12-14 11-47-08.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 236
vmware.com/info?id=238&build=18811642 << is the URL it brings me to using the documentation, step by step, from KALI.org. even though its shows workstation 15 on their website I'm assuming it should still work the same. however the link I provided will not load up for me. So, when I got to this point, I was hoping someone has already ran into this specifically and could help me a slight bit better. like with some specifics.
You don't upload compressed files in VMware. You're suppose to use the iso.

Right, so I tried the iso before I even created an account here to ask these questions. I’m just trying to get as much of what I’ve done out there so there’s less back and forth. 1st tried the zip which was supposed to be a prepackaged deal from what I understood. 2nd I watched a video with the specifics like player 16 and kali. 3rd downloaded iso and did updates, upgrades and set the bios setting to correct value. Then tried with the iso, get about halfway through the download, only to have keyboard frozen, time stops advancing, and mouse was lagged something awful. Left it over night thinking it was just old and slow. Nothing moved. Hard restart. Talk to you for half a day. That’s the sequence. Thanks man, not being a douche at all just not getting anywhere and it’s frustrating to think there’s no simple answer here.

that’s for 15, and I’m pretty sure it’s the pro edition it’s showing. It doesn’t have the same steps. Pick file to use (iso), choose OS (Linux) then Debian10x64 then select my hardware allocations and what not. Start it up. Kali starts fine, it goes through the ‘graphical installation’ like what the vid I watched did. It’s within Kali that everything locks up on the installation of things. Through the BOOT on the kali vm I see an error that said OS not found but I know I’m using the iso just like the video.

Just install Kali tools on your host OS.

Members online

Latest posts