Installing Identity Cloaker

D

Dana

We don't have cable where I'm at. The closest we have is satelite television, which is often spotty at best. We refuse to spend $80 bucks a month when most of our shows are available online for free. The one exception to this is Doctor Who. For some reason, BBC America refuses to put Doctor Who on the web for us. BBC One, however, shows each episode for six days after original air date. The only problem is you have to be in the UK to watch it. I pay for a service called Identity Cloaker which enables us to keep watching one of our favorite shows.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 as my operating system and need to install Identity Cloaker. They only have a Windows version at the moment. I know from what I've read online that it can be installed, but I don't know how to do it. Does anyone here have instructions for this? I'm completely new to the Linux systems and the command line interfaces.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance that you can offer!

Dana

I've tried Wine, WineTricks and PlayOnLinux. I'm probably not installing it correctly or something but s far, nothing is working. I love Google, but it's only getting me so far. Any wonderful Linux Gurus have some tips for me, please?

Dana

We got it! Well, sort of. Identity Cloaker runs on the Microsoft .Net crapola. Linux doesn't have that, or if they do, I haven't found their version of it yet. We don't need all the fancy encryption that Identity Cloaker gives us on our end. We also don't need constant server switching. We just use it for one hour a week to watch Doctor Who. Since we don't need the bells and whistles, we can just set this up like we would a normal proxy.

Have a Windows machine that you can initially install the program onto. This is the only way to retrieve the IP addresses. Retrieve at least ten IP addies. (Always have back ups in case one server is down or gets changed.) Log in to Ubuntu and go to System settings, network, network proxy. Set the proxy here and use port 4040. Do not use encryption. Open a browser window. Enter the username and password that you were sent when you purchased the Identity Cloaker program.

Normally, any proxy will do well for almost anything. The free proxies however, are not fast enough for streaming video from the UK. This is why a paid proxy, such as identity Cloaker, is required for watching BBC from the UK.

Now to figure out how to get Microsoft Office 2013 on this thing!

Members online

Latest posts