Installing Centos 4 on Hyper-V

TheUndertaker

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to install Centos 4 on Hyper-v Windows to support some legacy software.

I see that the isos are located here

But there are multiple isos. When creating a hyper-v machine, it only allows for a single iso to be selected.

What is the best way to install Centos 4 on hyper-v?

Don't install CentOS4 it's been End of Life for a long time, install a still supported version such as CentOS7 or 8 instead.

Thanks everyone for their replies.

I managed to install the rhel4 image on hyper-v. it was a painful experience. I carried out the following steps

1. Downloaded the full dvd iso from a torrent
2. Created a vm on hyper-v and booted from the iso dvd.
3. After the vm was created, updated the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file to contain static details of the ip address, gateway and the netmask.
4. Created a windows gateway using the New-NetIPAddress powershell command on the hyper-v
5. Created a static mapping using the Add-NetNatStaticMapping command in powershell
6. Dropped the windows firewall

This enabled me to connect to the rhel4 image!

Why are you running RHEL4? RHEL4 isn't supported anymore, it was supported until 29-02-2012 and if you bought ELS till 31-04-2017.

Legacy software, deemed mandatory by the company
Running Legacy OSes are a security risk for the company because they don't receive updates. You solved the problem yourself so no need to thank for the replies ;)

Last edited:

Members online