Installing Brother printer driver on Endless OS, Error: unable to access the dpkg database directory /var/lib/dpkg

I don't mean to disrupt this ongoing thread, but I stumbled upon this in a search and I have a similar yet unrelated problem with that linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1 shell script [I think]. I'm using Ubuntu and have a Brother MFC-J3930DW just got used and was installing the software. All were deb files and installed just fine...but I do NOT KNOW WHAT one is supposed to do with this shell script...no clue at all. Where does it go or what program can run it? Thanks much. I know I have both 386 and amd64 capabilities on this computer [it is amd 64]...but think that is not the problem. I have never confronted a shell script before that I apparently have to DO something with...but what?! Thanks and sorry to 'butt in'.
It is a .gz file which means it is like a zip file you have to extract the contents once extracted to an empty folder open a terminal there usually right click and select open terminal here then type in
Code:
sudo bash ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.sh

Hmmmm....I did and it said No such file or directory. That is strange. There is a file there by that name.
if you installed the deb files already then you do not need the script file - the script file is an installer file if you do not have Gdebi

OK, Thanks. It would have been nice if they had explained that or I knew that...I now know that. So I hope now all drivers are installed and OK, I'll know soon...just waiting for ink...but the scanner is working fine. Thanks again.

I now know that.

The good news is you generally only need to learn it once. There's a learning curve when coming from Windows, as Linux is quite different. I actually find Linux easier than Windows.

Ok, so under Settings - Printers I had two printers listed. I removed them and clicked the Add button and six printer options came up. I picked one that listed a local address and Bob's-yer-uncle I'm able to print. I did a Test Print and printed something random I had in Libre Office. Now in Settings I have two printers listed -- the one I believe I added and one that looks the same but seems to have been added somehow else.

Now for the scanner...

I have not been able to get any of the drivers to install. Here is the error msg:

dpkg: error: required read/write access to the dpkg database directory /var/lib/dpkg

How do change the var thingy from read only to read/write?

Members online