Installing apps etc to CentOS 8

AFK_Matrix

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

So I have been tasked by work to setup a PC and historically they installed CentOS 6.4 but after much annoyance it seems this version isn’t compatible with the latest hardware of this PC. So I have installed CentOS 8 and am struggling to install things on it.

The instructions I have for setting version 6.4 up don’t tie up with version 8 so am struggling.

The first thing I wanted to do is install Grub Customizer and have downloaded the tar.gz from the website but when I double click on this it just unpacks it and I can’t see what I should do to install it.

The other thing I am trying to do is install Nvidia Drivers. I have disabled nouveau and it has booted in to a command line and I have logged into root and then used bash to start the nvidia installation but I get the error in the attached picture. I am now also stuck in how I get back to a proper GUI for CentOS if I can’t install the drivers.

The graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000 and I am trying to install these drivers - NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-460.80.run.

20210517_122020.jpg

Just install the ELrepo repository and then install nvidia-detect, afterwhich you run the command and it will tell you which Nvidia packages you need to install for your Nvidia graphics card.

Last edited:
So the instructions on the ELrepo site have web addresses and I don't have internet on the CentOS machine. I have instead downloaded the .org file and the .rpm file. I know how to run the .rpm file but what do I do with the .org file? Is it the rpm --import command?

As for the Grub Customizer app, I have tried following the instructions on the website and it says to install the cmake package, now I try and do this and it says it depends on cmake-data, but then cmake-data depends on cmake! How on earth do you install cmake if the packages can't install!! I have also extracted the .tar.gz file from the website and when I try the command cmake . && make it doesn't work, I assume because I can't install the cmake package.

The part I replied about was for the Nvidia drivers, just do how they explain on their home page.
Code:
rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
yum install https://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-8.el8.elrepo.noarch.rpm
yum install nvidia-detect
nvidia-detect
Then install the package you get as output from the last command and then reboot, when you are rebooted the Nvidia driver should be loaded.

Is this what you are talking about when you are talking about grub-customizer, if so just follow the instructions in the README file. Alternatively you could put in a request for them to package in the EPEL repository because I see they have the Rhel7 version there.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply @f33dm3bits.

So as I said I have no internet so the instructions on the Elrepo site won't work. I downloaded the .org file on another pc and copied it across and tried to import the .org file and it said import read failed (0).

As for the grub customizer I have tried to follow their instructions but it does not work as I can't install the cmake package.

Trying to setup things on linux without internet access is sooo stupidly hard, all the instructions I come across need internet and it seems impossible to work offline.

Installing anything without an internet connection is a PITA now days on any OS, you can do it like this:
1. Download the public key to a usb drive as well as the elrepo repo rpm and the nvidia detect package.
2. Stick the usb drive in your system without internet and then run the commands and use the files on the usb driver.
3. Then run nvidia-detect to see which packages you need, then download the package it says you need to the same usb driver and install it from there when you plug it over to your other system. If you run into dependency problems note which dependency it needs and download those as well to your usb drive.

You got en error when importing it, must be a problem on your side or bad download of the file. I just manually download the publickey and then imported and I didn't get an error. Isn't it easier just to setup a network/internet connection on that system?

Hi,

So I have tried to run the elrepo-release-8.el8.elrepo.noarch.rpm file in the terminal window. But no matter what I use, dnf or yum, it tries to access the internet. Even when i specifically point to the directory with the rpm file in it tries to access http://mirrorlist.centos.org site. How do I stop this happening so I can install this rpm?

Try this instead.
Code:
rpm -ivh elrepo-release-8.el8.elrepo.noarch.rpm

Last edited:
Hi,

So I have managed to get access to the interent on the CentOS 8 machine and am now trying to install the Nvidia drivers. I have elrepo setup so was hoping to use the nvidia-detect command but have hit a problem.

When it has been installing the nvidia-detect program it has come up with this:

WARNING: Xorg log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log does not exist
WARNING: Unable to determine Xorg ABI compatibility
WARNING: The driver for this device does not support the current Xorg version

And it just keeps saying this if I try and run nvidia-detect again. Is there a way to fix this or should I install the driver manually?

Generally you will need the C programming packages.
dnf group install "C Development Tools and Libraries"
This is dozens of packages. Very difficult to install with no internet.
(It can be done via USB drive, but it's a pain)

You will also need a Xwindows graphical desktop environment installed.
dnf group install "Basic Desktop" (or MATE, or KDE, or whatever you like)
Again, this is dozens of packages. You probably don't want to do this with no internet.

You can use the drivers from the nVidia website.
But if you can use the el8repo/rpmfusion drivers, it's a lot easier.

dnf search nvidia
Last metadata expiration check: 0:04:49 ago on Wed 26 May 2021 07:48:06 AM PDT.
============================== Name & Summary Matched: nvidia ==============================
akmod-nvidia.x86_64 : Akmod package for nvidia kernel module(s)
akmod-nvidia-340xx.x86_64 : Akmod package for nvidia-340xx kernel module(s)
akmod-nvidia-390xx.x86_64 : Akmod package for nvidia-390xx kernel module(s)
kmod-nvidia.x86_64 : Metapackage which tracks in nvidia kernel module for newest kernel
kmod-nvidia-340xx.x86_64 : Metapackage which tracks in nvidia-340xx kernel module for newest
: kernel
kmod-nvidia-390xx.x86_64 : Metapackage which tracks in nvidia-390xx kernel module for newest
: kernel
kmod-nvidia-5.11.21-300.fc34.x86_64.x86_64 : nvidia kernel module(s) for
: 5.11.21-300.fc34.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-5.12.5-300.fc34.x86_64.x86_64 : nvidia kernel module(s) for
: 5.12.5-300.fc34.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-5.12.6-300.fc34.x86_64.x86_64 : nvidia kernel module(s) for
: 5.12.6-300.fc34.x86_64
nvidia-modprobe.x86_64 : Load the NVIDIA kernel module and create NVIDIA character device
: files
nvidia-query-resource-opengl.x86_64 : Querying OpenGL resource usage of applications using
: the NVIDIA OpenGL driver
nvidia-query-resource-opengl-lib.x86_64 : Library for nvidia-query-resource-opengl
nvidia-query-resource-opengl-lib.i686 : Library for nvidia-query-resource-opengl
nvidia-settings.x86_64 : Configure the NVIDIA graphics driver
nvidia-settings-390xx.x86_64 : Configure the NVIDIA 390xx series graphics driver
nvidia-texture-tools-devel.i686 : Development libraries/headers for nvidia-texture-tools
nvidia-texture-tools-devel.x86_64 : Development libraries/headers for nvidia-texture-tools
nvidia-xconfig.x86_64 : NVIDIA X configuration file editor
pcp-pmda-nvidia-gpu.x86_64 : Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) metrics for the Nvidia GPU
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64 : NVIDIA's proprietary display driver for NVIDIA graphic cards
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx.x86_64 : NVIDIA's 340xx series proprietary display driver for
: NVIDIA graphic cards
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx-cuda.x86_64 : CUDA libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx-devel.i686 : Development files for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx-devel.x86_64 : Development files for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx-kmodsrc.x86_64 : xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx kernel module source
: code
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx-libs.i686 : Libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx-libs.x86_64 : Libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-340xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx.x86_64 : NVIDIA's 390xx series proprietary display driver for
: NVIDIA graphic cards
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-cuda.x86_64 : CUDA driver for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-cuda-libs.i686 : CUDA libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-cuda-libs.x86_64 : CUDA libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-devel.i686 : Development files for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-devel.x86_64 : Development files for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-kmodsrc.x86_64 : xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx kernel module source
: code
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-libs.i686 : Libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx-libs.x86_64 : Libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-390xx
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda.x86_64 : CUDA driver for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs.x86_64 : CUDA libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs.i686 : CUDA libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel.i686 : Development files for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel.x86_64 : Development files for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc.x86_64 : xorg-x11-drv-nvidia kernel module source code
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 : Libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64 : Libraries for xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
=================================== Name Matched: nvidia ===================================
nvidia-persistenced.x86_64 : Daemon for maintaining persistent driver state
nvidia-texture-tools.i686 : Collection of image processing and texture manipulation tools
nvidia-texture-tools.x86_64 : Collection of image processing and texture manipulation tools
================================= Summary Matched: nvidia ==================================
Cg.x86_64 : NVIDIA Cg Toolkit
Cg-docs.x86_64 : NVIDIA Cg Toolkit documentation
envytools.x86_64 : Tools for people envious of nvidia's blob driver
golang-github-mindprince-gonvml-devel.noarch : NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) bindings for
: Go
gwe.noarch : System utility designed to provide information of NVIDIA card
libCg.i686 : NVIDIA Cg Toolkit shared support library
libCg.x86_64 : NVIDIA Cg Toolkit shared support library
mate-optimus.noarch : NVIDIA Optimus GPU switcher
nv-codec-headers.noarch : FFmpeg version of Nvidia Codec SDK headers
python3-py3nvml.noarch : Python 3 Bindings for the NVIDIA Management Library

again, this a LOT of packages. All this would be MUCH easier if you have an internet connection.

Members online