Installing a Program Called Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanSum

Reaction score
Credits
I downloaded a program called "arduino-1.8.10-linuxaarch64.tar.xz. When I click on "downloads" I get the icon. If I left double click I get "Reading "arduino-1.8.10-linuxaarch64.tar.xz". This gets me to "arduino-1.8.10". If I left double click I get 14 choices. If I right click I get choices of "Open", "Extract" "cut", "copy", "paste" which is grayed out, "rename", "delete". Then I'm lost. Do I need to extract or open? I tried watching some Youtube installation videos. No luck.

You can extract it. This is like a zip file for linux. xz is a compression.
tar stands for "tape archive". No one backs up to tape anymore, but tar is still common, even for
archiving files.

Thanks for the reply!

If I choose "extract" I get a screen with a green choice at the top of the right side that says "extract". If I click on that it shows "extraction completed successfully, close, show the files". If I select "show the files" I get a small box that temporarily says download ready for 2-3 seconds then goes away. It leaves me with arduino-1.8.10. If I double left click I get 8 folders, 2 unknown, 3 shell script, and 1 plain text. If I click on "show applications" I get an icon that says "Arduino IDE". If I put that icon on my favorites, right click and select "show details" I get "Unable to find arduino desktop".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online