Installing a printer driver

T

thriftwood

I have a Samsung CLX 3185 printer. In going through the setup procedure that printer does not appear in the list. Where can I obtain a suitable driver and how do I install it?
I'm running Ubuntu Natty Narwhol and using the Unity interface.

Thanks

It looks like Samsung has Linux Drivers for the CLX 3185 at their website. I was unable to post the URL because this site has rules that you must post at least 5 times before you are allowed to post an URL. Okay fine. Here's the URL without symbols:
http colon-forward slash-forward slash-www-dot-samsung-dot-com-forward slash-us-forward slash-support-forward slash-owners-forward slash-product-forward slash-CLX-3185FW-forward slash-XAA

OR just Google linux driver and name of your printer. This reply was a pain to write. I'm not coming back and tag this site's email as SPAM.

Thanks for your help anyway. In fact, I have a Samsung CLX 3185 not 3185 FW since it has neither F (Fax) or W (Wireless).I still don't know what to do with the downloaded file

It looks like Samsung has Linux Drivers for the CLX 3185 at their website. I was unable to post the URL because this site has rules that you must post at least 5 times before you are allowed to post an URL. Okay fine. Here's the URL without symbols:
http colon-forward slash-forward slash-www-dot-samsung-dot-com-forward slash-us-forward slash-support-forward slash-owners-forward slash-product-forward slash-CLX-3185FW-forward slash-XAA

OR just Google linux driver and name of your printer. This reply was a pain to write. I'm not coming back and tag this site's email as SPAM.
Thanks for your help anyway. In fact, I have a Samsung CLX 3185 not 3185 FW since it has neither F (Fax) or W (Wireless).I still don't know what to do with the downloaded file

Hi,
I also get a one HP printer. N i also can't connect with device. It's getting difficulty to me. I also get trouble to install there drives n device. I asked my friend n he did it. I totally agree with you it's get trouble to installed drives n all... Nice post Thanks for sharing....

I would try to install "Printer setting Utility (Driver) (ver.2.01.03:15)". When you download the software it will consists of filename PSU_1.13.tar.gz

So if you're running Ubuntu go to places and start the Nautilus file manager, right mouse click on "PSU_1.13.tar.gz" and select extract. The extracted file will create a sub-directory named "cdroot". Change directory to cdroot/Linux/psu
In the "cdroot/Linux/psu" directory you will see files install.sh and uninstall.sh

Make sure the install.sh is executable, if it is not then you can open a terminal and type "chmod 755 install.sh"
In the same terminal type "sudo ./install.sh"
The install.sh script should run, and now regarding the model type. This driver may or may not work, but in the past I've had similar drivers work. Also, you should be running Ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04 for the most comprehensive set of printer drivers. I found that the LTS version of Ubuntu usually has some of the latest printer drivers. I just started upgrading computers at home from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. I'm really starting to like 12.04 a lot. However, I recommend 10.04 for the maturity and stability.

Many thanks. I followed your instructions and whilst some of the names were slightly different e.g PSU was called Linux in the filename, I pursued it through to the end. At one point when using the Installer Iit couldn't find the printer on the network so everything ground to a hall. However, the printer appeared in another window I opened (not sure which( and I asked it to print a test page which it reportedly did but nothing camne out of the printer! So I've abandoned it for the time being and will use my old Epson printer which does work via the netweok

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Don't Give up.

Many thanks. I followed your instructions and whilst some of the names were slightly different e.g PSU was called Linux in the filename, I pursued it through to the end. At one point when using the Installer Iit couldn't find the printer on the network so everything ground to a hall. However, the printer appeared in another window I opened (not sure which( and I asked it to print a test page which it reportedly did but nothing camne out of the printer! So I've abandoned it for the time being and will use my old Epson printer which does work via the netweok

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Chris,
I'm sorry Chris. I look around some more it seems you will need the "Samsung Unified Linux Driver" just to get the printer to communicate with your PC. Download the "Unified Driver (Driver) (ver.3.00.71:07) " at Samsung. I found an an interesting post stating that a different model samsung driver will work. This is what I found " have the Samsung CLX-3185 printer/scanner. The printer-part works fine using 3175 drivers found by (Xubuntu/XFCE) printer setup wizard." You can find that post here: http colon-slash-slash askubuntu dot com slash questions slash 115864 slash how-to-make-samsung-clx-3185-scanner-part-work

But here is really good website that is dedicated to Samung printers in Linux
http colon-slash-slash www dot bchemnet dot com slash suldr slash

Also, the same info is located at ubuntu forums
http colon-slash-slash ubuntuforums dot org slash showthread.php?t=1660550

Sorry about writing out the URL. I wish I could just cut and paste. DON'T GIVE UP. You've gone this far and now you know how to download and run the install scripts.

Members online