Installed new grapghics card, blank monitors at boot up

I hope that the new driver works better, if you decide to continue. I guess I'm concerned that it may not help the boot time slowdown, but you won't know unless you try it. It sounded like the slowdown was a deal breaker for you.

Cheers!

Brian, hi, this is a BTW in two parts.

Hope I do not transgress being off-Topic, but hope that both you and The Viewers might find something handy in this.

At #6 on page 1 you said, in part

Note that in ect/default/grub...i now have grub, grub saved & grub saved1.…

… and of course you can choose to do that.

1. You said you have upgraded to 18.2 Mint, can you just publish for us if that is your preferred Cinnamon, or your alternative of MATE?

2. I myself find this better for me, and you can see in the Spoiler my grub file from the Beta of LM 18.2 MATE I am using (identical with that in its sibling Cinnamon)
# If you change this file, run 'sudo update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg. This, use of "sudo", performed after install
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved #hey knucklehead does this affect bootup??????? was 0 Zero to begin
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noquiet nosplash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
# CRAP obsolete use videoinfo
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

# and the line here shows makes no difference if you have a space
#the line below was modified in July at install, eg 01/07/2017
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

The above I find particularly useful both with Grub, and with fstab (when changing an item that is causing a conflict at startup/shutdown and maybe causing a 1 min 30 sec job to run), and there are other examples. Saves having to make a "backup1" "_save" whatever file, but, Brian, it is good that you have taken that precaution :)

Being a multibooter for 3 years nearly, I have developed a protocol which is somewhat arbitrary, of say “12 things to do after install” for every Linux.

After I have followed that protocol or regimen, I might then perform a Timeshift or Aptik exercise, so that I have a solution in place should I need to perform a clean (re)install.

One of the first things on my to-do list is to modify the Distro’s grub file.

I tweak the lines that relate to which Distro boots first (eg the last one used), but most particularly I add my own stamp on things, vis-a-vis comments that can be used instead of backing up the file with a different name.

The comments may be dated (in the example given, with the Australian and British date format, as opposed to that of our American friends … 9/11 for you and me is 11/9), and in particular I say why, or cite a source eg “Wizard’s suggestion”.

These modifications can use all punctuation as you and I know it, being prefaced by a #

Linux ignores them, but users and readers and developers can make use of them, and understand the rationale.

This process of “hashing” or “unhashing” for comments and “uncommenting” you will meet frequently in Linux, and it dates back to Unix & MS-DOS days, and was often, then, called “remarking”. I used it often, as did many, in text-based "batch files" under MS-DOS, including whom the author was.

For purposes of this exercise, I have highlighted in red the changes I made. In both LM MATE & Cinnamon, now, xed is the default Text Editor (replacing pluma), and does not provide for same, but some of the other Text Editors available DO so … worth a look if you are interested.

Wizard
(Hope some of these tidbits I provide are not found boring. I just get excited to be on the rollercoaster/learning curve I find every day with Linux.)

my preferred (and only) install is 18.2 Cinnamon (sonya)

more later

still as busy as the dog with a cuppla tails

Thanks mate, hope you will soon be enjoying a clean and empty shed, lol

Later

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts