Installed Debian successfully in partition, I can only boot to Windows

digitard

Reaction score
Credits
Installed debian after windows.

The hard drive contains 2 operating systems Windows and Debian. When I press F2 on startup, the laptop display a menu with 2 choices, boot from master hard drive or from an EFI file. Master hard drive boot starts only windows.
The EFI boot option contains only one directory that I suspect is some free dos that the laptop has originally...
Can I put and EFI file for Debian in that menu?

What happened when I installed Debian:

After installation finished, it searched for other operating systems and found freedos which I dont use. It didn't find windows
It told me that if I see my other operating system on the list it is safe to install some Linux boot manager
I didn't see my other operating system on the lists so I said no

Then an other screen told me that I have to make the partition bootable and install the Linux boot manager
I said yes

It told me to remove the USB before restart for not enter installation environment again. It loaded something and then it only boots to windows
What I have to do?
Thanks

Note: the only functional operating system that I have right now is windows, I can't format and reinstall, I have to fix the Debian boot from Windows.

What's happening is that the UEFI has as first boot priority of your hard drive the Windows Bootloader. You need to configure your UEFI to boot into Debian first.

Enter in the UEFI and set the priorities of boot for that hard drive; you should find the Debian installation with GRUB. If you put Debian as the first priority, it should let you choose between Debian and Windows. Sadly, as every UEFI is different, I can't tell your what exact options you need to navigate to.

What's happening is that the UEFI has as first boot priority of your hard drive the Windows Bootloader. You need to configure your UEFI to boot into Debian first.

Enter in the UEFI and set the priorities of boot for that hard drive; you should find the Debian installation with GRUB. If you put Debian as the first priority, it should let you choose between Debian and Windows. Sadly, as every UEFI is different, I can't tell your what exact options you need to navigate to.
I haven't seen such a menu in that environment (that bios thing) please be more explanatory

EDIT
How do I set the priorities of boot for that hard drive?

There is no such menu.

I can go and write down the boot priorities menu that the ''BIOS'' have if you want

Last edited:
In the second picture you have a menu that says "OS Boot Manager". What's in there?
The first picture is the system configuration menu and in the second picture i have entered the boot options of the system configuration menu.

The ''OS Boot Manager'' it's not a choice, it's an item that you can only move in the list with the other items, it just goes up and down.

I'm going to get pictures of what happens when I press F9, the boot manager

Last edited:
I think I have figured it out, Linux support forums are like talismans, like charms, you post there for luck, to cast out evil, and then you fix it yourself.

Debian installer have found windows from the start, but it was listed as free dos... I reinstall GRUB from the Debian installer and now I have dual boot Debian and freedos ie windows 10.

The Debian tho have and an other problem, it stuck in the same place as for this guy...
should I make a new thread for luck or?

... Linux support forums are like talismans, like charms, you post there for luck, to cast out evil, and then you fix it yourself.
Sorry for my late replies. I live in Australia and I'm guessing we're in quite "disperse" time zones.

Regarding your graphical environment problem, it is usually caused because you need nonfree modules. Did you install a debian iso or did your chose the ithe nonfree variant? This is usually the problem. Debian (just debian) only ships free software. If your graphics card (either integrated or discrete) uses a proprietary or blob module, it won't work. Usually the recomended starting point, specially for laptops, is the -nonfree iso.

To try solve this you could add the nonfree sources to your package manager and try to locate manually your driver, but that can be a lenghty and exasperating process. If you're just starting and you have no valuable data in your Linux yet, which I guess is the point where you are now, grab the live non-free iso from debian and see if the live system starts with a graphical environment. If it starts, then go to the installer and overwrite your current installation.

I agree with my Sydney friend, I wondered this overnight.

I struggled for the best part of 2 years to get Debian up and running with internet connected via wifi and running Nvidia graphics.

For one reason or another, Debian prefers to be installed using Ethernet, not WiFi, and between the wifi issue and the nvidia issue it causes no end of problems. The solution for me was the non-free edition, which includes some proprietary software.

You can find this here

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

If you choose to proceed further to get the iso, you would likely be best served to choose

10.7.0-live+nonfree/

then

amd64/

then

iso-hybrid/

then read the instructions carefully and then choose your desktop environment. That means either

debian-live-10.7.0-amd64-cinnamon+nonfree.iso

...or for cinnamon substitute one of

GNOME, KDE, LXDE, LXQT, MATE or XFCE.

If you are not familiar with DEs (Desktop Environments), read this, it is old but still quite accurate:

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

:)Ask any questions other than "Why does Debian do this in such a convoluted way?" We don't know, and its founder died a few years ago

Cheers

Wizard

The summary/conclusion to all this is.....install Linux Mint.

Make your life easier.

You can change “Mint” by many other distributions equally friendly to the user. Indeed, I was hardcore Debian user but I moved to Manjaro a few weeks ago to avoid the burden of to configure and compiling all the apps that needed VAAPI for video encoding.

Yep I agree no non-free stuff in Debian unless you install it or specifically or download the non-free version why Debian does this is beyond me - guess that just another reason why I personally do not use it, too much configuring to get things to work.

An FYI to the OP - @digitard - regarding #8

I would not place much faith in what the writer was trying as he does not know the difference between a Display Manager and a Desktop Environment.

I tried to uninstall GNOME then selected lightdm as the default desktop environment.

... and you don't purge a display manager, you replace it or substitute it.

An example can be read here (it's 8 years old, but current as recently as 18 months ago. Main difference is that gdm had been succeeded with gdm3)

https://askubuntu.com/questions/152256/how-do-i-switch-from-lightdm-to-gdm

What is a Display Manager? It's mostly about your login screen and window, but it extends into the desktop session.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/857...between-desktop-managers-and-display-managers

Cheers

Wizard

Thank you all for the insights. I'll try with Debian until I'm tired and until I found something that I need and cannot being done with it. Possibly you need things that I don't. The most extreme that I may do is to install Blender in it.

Ask any questions other than "Why does Debian do this in such a convoluted way?" We don't know, and its founder died a few years ago
I have to ask. the official Debian installation with the only free software has to have a reason to exist, there must be machines that run with it without any non-free software. This is important information, I think that they try to say something by not including necessary software in the official installation. There must be proper hardware for that qualified free software.

Fair questions. Our long-time Member and good friend @JasKinasis uses Debian as his go-to Distro, but its Sid, the testing environment. He may know about the hardware issue, or where to search for answers.

Jas is also a fiend for the DuckDuckGo search engine, and may give some tips learned from there.

Other than that, if you do find an answer, be sure to share it with us so that we can add it to our wiki, our knowledge base :)

Wiz

I think an answer might be in Debian Free Software Guidelines(DFSG) non-free do not follow DFSG
and are not included. If my understanding is correct Debian doesn't differentiate among packages on the basis of support (since all packages are supported by the Debian community), contrib and non-free packages correspond to Restricted/Multiverse in Ubuntu. By default, all contrib and non-free packages enter Multiverse when they are synced. If Canonical intends to support them, they are moved to restricted. Where Ubuntu includes them through Multiverse the non-free packages that is.

Fair questions. Our long-time Member and good friend @JasKinasis uses Debian as his go-to Distro, but its Sid, the testing environment. He may know about the hardware issue, or where to search for answers.

Jas is also a fiend for the DuckDuckGo search engine, and may give some tips learned from there.

Other than that, if you do find an answer, be sure to share it with us so that we can add it to our wiki, our knowledge base :)

Wiz
I think I found it, but we need schooling here
https://www.debian.org/News/2014/20140908
https://h-node.org/
If you make any wikis with this information please give me the link

Staff online