Installation in Acer travelmate 8573-t6603 I3. Stuck in logo.

If you bypassed it with a USB stick, it's not a BIOS password. POST/BIOS all take place before the device boots to anything, including a USB drive.

Perhaps what we're after is an OS password - if Linux it'd likely be LUKS. You should be able to install a distro, you just won't be able to access the currently installed distro without the password.

the first problem was that i wasnt able to install ubuntu, debian o linux mint from the usbstick. The bios password is a fact...
Is the Bios.
Just to put you on some context.. i m electronic techinician...more close to an engineer. And i have been around computer since child..more than 20 years. The only problem is that it was always around windows..:). but DOS and the terminal is something that i m familiar with. When i said Bios..is the BIos.

I m learning a linux basic course from the linux foundation. i managed to install ubuntu in vmware..and i supposed that it was going to be easy the same way..
But here we are....

Now. The problem right now. Is why i cannot simple put the iso on the hhd. and boot from there? The usb stick stucked in the Logo and do not go through

Back to my original post, If it's a Windows machine, it may have windows quick-start embedded in the BIOS, have you checked and if there disabled it?

Now. The problem right now. Is why i cannot simple put the iso on the hhd. and boot from there? The usb stick stucked in the Logo and do not go through
You cannot boot/install from the same drive you are installing to - it must be from an USB or DVD - if you have a BIOS password that is preventing the USB from booting then remove the BIOS password, if you do not know what the password is you can try Hirems Boot CD or you can remove the internal CMOS battery and leave it out for about an hour then put it back in, this generally resets the BIOS back to defaults

Also try pressing the Esc key where it gets stuck the logo screen should disappear and you should see the textual boot logs and it should tell you what the problem is. If that doesn't work, try pressing key combinations Alt+F1 to Alt+F12 and see if you can get the textual boot logs which should tell you where the problem is.

You can also try to re-flash on a different USB stick

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also try to re-flash on a different USB stick
this was to be my thought of last resort, we have had a few this past year with dodgy pen-drives

this was to be my thought of last resort, we have had a few this past year with dodgy pen-drives
Yep I have had a few them myself - I try fix them by deleting the partition and creating a new one in Gparted - sometimes that works

yes..i tried with 2 different..not really high end usb stick. but none of them work....the usb is booting, is not installing. Its stuck in the logo, no way to see the status. No esc, no ALT+F1. Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Linux mint. all the same....I only can boot and access to a terminal with the tool that this guy creates..(https://paul.is-a-geek.org/). Basically is a Lubuntu with less features, but then a lot of command don't work beause they are not installed. And this particular distro, don't make easy to install things.
Can make the difference using rufus instead of balenaetcher to burn the USB stick?

You cannot boot/install from the same drive you are installing to

This is entirely trivial - and merely pointing out something I've found interesting.

One of my peers from Lubuntu has a way of doing that - installing to the same drive you're booting to, useful for when external media isn't an option. I have never really tried it, but I've seen him outline it a few times. It's a bit complicated and means adjusting things like initramfs and a bunch of other stuff - but, assuming I'm understanding properly, it is technically possible.

Weirdly, it's neither of these two options:

Again, this is just some trivia and likely has added nothing of great importance to the thread.

So with this tool..i can connect to internet, watch the HHD, make a partition, mount another Usb and it can read at it.
But still its running from the stick and its not dedicated to install..any distro..just for repair a installation.
i m trying to reinstall win 7 to see what happens. If this works..it may have some kind of quick start embedded on bios..and if thats the case i m not going to move forward.
It thought that if i can access to a terminal i can do whatever i want..but i finding this is not the case.
It doesnt sound crazy to have just a Kernel distro and work with some tool to update the bios. I guess if could have something that prevents a force brute test..but still.. bad luck this bios has this weird password and don't work with the available tools.

This is entirely trivial - and merely pointing out something I've found interesting.

One of my peers from Lubuntu has a way of doing that - installing to the same drive you're booting to, useful for when external media isn't an option. I have never really tried it, but I've seen him outline it a few times. It's a bit complicated and means adjusting things like initramfs and a bunch of other stuff - but, assuming I'm understanding properly, it is technically possible.

Weirdly, it's neither of these two options:

Again, this is just some trivia and likely has added nothing of great importance to the thread.
I thought that only works if you want to dual boot but not on a clean/empty drive? I might be wrong though - would be nice to learn that procedure

So with this tool..i can connect to internet, watch the HHD, make a partition, mount another Usb and it can read at it.
But still its running from the stick and its not dedicated to install..any distro..just for repair a installation.
i m trying to reinstall win 7 to see what happens. If this works..it may have some kind of quick start embedded on bios..and if thats the case i m not going to move forward.
It thought that if i can access to a terminal i can do whatever i want..but i finding this is not the case.
It doesnt sound crazy to have just a Kernel distro and work with some tool to update the bios. I guess if could have something that prevents a force brute test..but still.. bad luck this bios has this weird password and don't work with the available tools.
You can always remove the CMOS battery inside - also try Rufus or Unetbootin

I thought that only works if you want to dual boot but not on a clean/empty drive? I might be wrong though - would be nice to learn that procedure

The next time I catch him posting it, I'll link it. I might even ask him if I can crib from it and make an article about it - or try to convince him to write it all for me! (I probably won't do that, the dude's already insanely busy with official Ubuntu and Lubuntu stuff.) I tried using a search engine to find it, but nothing seems to be popping up.

The HHD is almost clean..it has some sector that i cannot format...but still windows doesnt find a installation there. It was a win machine..some sort of reserved partition. Whatever. I do not have the BIOS PASSWORD so i cannot check there. Running hirens boot now to see how far I can go...if not..disasembling...i do not have the tools at home..so i was trying to avoid that.

And with lubuntu i can format the disk...its a 500g but it creates a 465gb...it didn't create the entire partition. Not understanding where is the lock..but since i cannot enter the bios....anyway. Thanks for the help. I learned some new tools this days.

All rigth folks. Here are all the facts. Nothing works. This is not related with the original post..because but some of you may find this interesting. I open the laptop disconnect the battery and nothing happens. I run hiren's boot and use !bios. And have some image some strings...I tried different codes from the string..but nothing works. If anyone could take a look at this. And give me your opinion. I will be thankful.

Attachments

• 20220502_120710.jpg
    20220502_120710.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 231
  • 20220502_121050.jpg
    20220502_121050.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 222
  • 20220502_121057.jpg
    20220502_121057.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 220
  • 20220502_121111.jpg
    20220502_121111.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 229
  • 20220502_121207.jpg
    20220502_121207.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 229
Interesting, never seen a system wih multiple BIOS's before. I would recommend AMI.
In any case, in the first picture, I see a large round item covered in black shrink wrap just left of center.
It has some wires that go to RTC1 connection. Have you tried disconnecting this jumper for
30 seconds or so?

I see a large round item covered in black shrink wrap just left of center.

That's the only thing I see that might be a battery - on this side of the board. It looks like it disconnects at RTC1. That should be relatively painless.

If possible, I'd maybe consider hitting the power button while it's disconnected. That'd drain any capacitors, just in case, but might not be all that easy to do in a laptop.

Interesting, never seen a system wih multiple BIOS's before. I would recommend AMI.
In any case, in the first picture, I see a large round item covered in black shrink wrap just left of center.
It has some wires that go to RTC1 connection. Have you tried disconnecting this jumper for
30 seconds or so?
Yes thats the battery..i alredy dissconeted it..but nothing happens. ITs a phoenix bios. i Wiped the Cmos..but that didn't work. I Attacked all the Bios..nothing happend. Its weird..its 2012..we should be able to break this in pieces...

That's the only thing I see that might be a battery - on this side of the board. It looks like it disconnects at RTC1. That should be relatively painless.

If possible, I'd maybe consider hitting the power button while it's disconnected. That'd drain any capacitors, just in case, but might not be all that easy to do in a laptop.
oh yes! it has a power swicht on the board..i could try that rigth now. I m mad at this problem..it doesnt worth the time..but still i want to bend its knee..

Interesting, never seen a system wih multiple BIOS's before.
Of course not. BIOS chips/software are proprietary. The screenshot showing multiple BIOS companies is bound to be a hack and not the true computer BIOS. Googling "!BIOS" turns up nothing (note the exlamation mark in the screenshot).

Googling "BIOS 3.20" is another story! This 11-yr old video describes where to download and how to install. And this old link says this app is malware. With the "locked partition" and symptoms the OP described, I believe that malware is quite likely.

I think that I would remove the CMOS battery as others have said, and I would put it back together temporarily without the battery. Then try to boot on a Linux USB and see if you can't FULLY partition the hard drive to remove this program. Then put the battery back in and see if you can get back to normal. Good luck!