Installation in Acer travelmate 8573-t6603 I3. Stuck in logo.

This is really bizarre.

Try disconnecting the battery and turning the power on while the battery is disconnected.

I can feel your frustration. I'm pretty much out of ideas, and this is all I can think of at this point in time.

That's the only thing I see that might be a battery - on this side of the board. It looks like it disconnects at RTC1. That should be relatively painless.

If possible, I'd maybe consider hitting the power button while it's disconnected. That'd drain any capacitors, just in case, but might not be all that easy to do in a laptop.
No sir...it didnt work. It has 3 password level..Admin User and hhd..i guess thats why i can't install anything.

You can try the advice right above my last post from @Old Tom Bombadil... Basically seeing if you can format the *entire* drive from within a live Linux USB.

From their post, I wonder if this is one of those true BIOS rootkits. I've read a bit about them, but I've never seen one in the wild.

try this in the Bios Password block - 10546810
does it work?

I've never tried to boot without a CMOS battery before... it may or may not work since BIOS starts so many drivers, like for the USB.

But another step might be to disconnect the hard drive (with battery connected) and access the real system BIOS. I would reset that to defaults.

If it's malware, it seems like it's stored on the hard drive, not on the BIOS chip. With the hard drive disconnected, I think it should boot on a Linux USB. If the hard drive is removed, it could be connected to another computer with USB adapter cable and then formatted in another system.

Of course not. BIOS chips/software are proprietary. The screenshot showing multiple BIOS companies is bound to be a hack and not the true computer BIOS. Googling "!BIOS" turns up nothing (note the exlamation mark in the screenshot).

Googling "BIOS 3.20" is another story! This 11-yr old video describes where to download and how to install. And this old link says this app is malware. With the "locked partition" and symptoms the OP described, I believe that malware is quite likely.

I think that I would remove the CMOS battery as others have said, and I would put it back together temporarily without the battery. Then try to boot on a Linux USB and see if you can't FULLY partition the hard drive to remove this program. Then put the battery back in and see if you can get back to normal. Good luck!
!bios 3.20 Is a program..that more than one antivirus is going to call the devil..but its a useful tool for bios fixing and its on hirens boot. The intention of showing this program..and the screen was to find someone that can read the string of scan codes or the ascii code. I can see a pattern there but none of the password i tried works. Actually there isnt any hard drive..it just the usb stick with hirens, and the bios..and me.

No sir. None of the 8 or 10 digits pwd recovery for acer works. The seems to be numerica. And this one is alphanumeric.

Attachments

• IMG-20220502-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20220502-WA0001.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 240
1651513285984.png

This values here..are related to the key..but not luck trasnlating that..i can wipe the cmos. An it will write this again. This change over time..since each time that i put a wrong key it generate other..but still generate some similar pattern.

I
!Bios 3.20 is a Russian BIOS Password Cracker and was originally posted on www.11a.nu there is a reference to it here - http://www.password-crackers.com/en/category_107/program_30.html dating back to year 2000
yes...it works nice..but i m short in knowledge about this strings. I m so close....i can fell it, but not going through...
All its about bits..the bios has to save the key on some place..Its there..in that string. god knows..in what base or whats the trasnlate to keyboard...but thats the pass. 10 digits.

I

yes...it works nice..but i m short in knowledge about this strings. I m so close....i can fell it, but not going through...
All its about bits..the bios has to save the key on some place..Its there..in that string. god knows..in what base or whats the trasnlate to keyboard...but thats the pass. 10 digits.
Have you tried the jumpers to bypass the password - this is "old school" and may no longer work

Bet the jumpers are on the other side of the MoBo do not see them on the photos look for the letters PWD, PSWD, PSWDCLR, CLEAR CMOS, CLEAR, CLR, JCMOS1 or PASSWORD. The jumper is typically located on the edge of the motherboard
To remove the BIOS password, you will need to change the jumper settings.
Most of the ones I have seen are blue in color

first Unplug CMOS battery

If there are 3 pins under the jumper, moving the jumper over one pin will change it. For example if the jumper is covering pins 1 and 2, move it so that it is covering pins 2 & 3. If the jumper is covering pins 2 and 3, reinstall the jumper over pins 1 and 2.

If there are only 2 pins under the jumper, simply remove the jumper from the pins.

Put the CMOS battery back in and close the case.
Reconnect the power cable and turn on your laptop. The BIOS password should be cleared. After the logon screen appears, turn off your laptop again.
Disconnect the power cable. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to release static electricity from the system. Replace the jumper to its original position. Close the case and the computer is ready to be used again.

The other option is to re-flash the BIOS with the correct one

Also on Hiren's Boot CD is KillCMOS - since !Bios 3.20 did not work

Last edited by a moderator:

That might actually do the trick. The rest of it we tried already - but not that.

That's definitely worth trying.

Have you tried the jumpers to bypass the password - this is "old school" and may no longer work

Bet the jumpers are on the other side of the MoBo do not see them on the photos look for the letters PWD, PSWD, PSWDCLR, CLEAR CMOS, CLEAR, CLR, JCMOS1 or PASSWORD. The jumper is typically located on the edge of the motherboard
To remove the BIOS password, you will need to change the jumper settings.
Most of the ones I have seen are blue in color

first Unplug CMOS battery

If there are 3 pins under the jumper, moving the jumper over one pin will change it. For example if the jumper is covering pins 1 and 2, move it so that it is covering pins 2 & 3. If the jumper is covering pins 2 and 3, reinstall the jumper over pins 1 and 2.

If there are only 2 pins under the jumper, simply remove the jumper from the pins.

Put the CMOS battery back in and close the case.
Reconnect the power cable and turn on your laptop. The BIOS password should be cleared. After the logon screen appears, turn off your laptop again.
Disconnect the power cable. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to release static electricity from the system. Replace the jumper to its original position. Close the case and the computer is ready to be used again.

Also on Hiren's Boot CD is KillCMOS - since !Bios 3.20 did not work
Kill Cmos..works...is the same of disconecting the battery..basically empties the memory. But i guess that the info is in the flash..so..unless you enter the password..it's not possible to bypass it.
I Tried to flash the Bios with the ACER tool..but..it didn't work from the hirens boot....at the beginiging it start doing i guess a stack overflow..but it didn't have enogh resourse..or buffer to do it. It ask me to change the config.sys..i didn't move forward that path.
Theres another solution, there is a guy bios-fix.com... that for 17 usd..offers me the password. I wasn't going to pay..but now i m wondering...maybe he really has the solution. And we are not prepared yet to be on our own...haha.

LOL He's probably affiliated with the malware in the first place!

(I don't actually know if it was malware, but it sure oozes of it - especially the recovery for $10 thing.)

But, I'm glad it's sorted.

Naaa...there are a couple of guys that make this. I don't think it was a malware...its just lot of knowledge. When I paid It appears his real name, he has the touch!. Anyway, back to the original thread...installing Ubuntu. It failed.

I would use Gparted from the live USB and remove all partitions on that drive and create a new one from scratch then format it, since you can get into the bios now, which is a good thing - might be a corrupted partition or a bad spot on the drive

Members online