Install Ubuntu Desktop with raid 1 and mdadm

Baldi Giovanni

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Guy

I need to install an ubuntu desktop with RAID 1 Software and i need to clarify points that i discovered were not so clair in my mind. in the past i have used the Ubuntu Server installation to implement RAID 1 but one of my collegue told to try to use mdadm with ubuntu Desktop so i tried.....but i'm not able to run it. the Installation fails installing executing grub-install /dev/md0p6. i googled but i didnt find anything that helped me to understand where i made the mistake.

What i did is

1. create two partition with gdisk. I have to use 3TB Disk so i need to use GPT instead of MBR this does this imply using UEFI or i can still use legacy boot?
  2. run mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
  3. run the graphical installer tryng to install ubuntu on /dev/md0

I tried at work with a Physical workstation and the installer t asked me to create a small bios-boot partition, because of the GPT disk that was not asked to do it in my VM test on VMWare workstation.

Could someone tell me how can i make works?

I'm in the process of setting up a Raid 5 on my second partitions, on 3 drives. I used the instructions at https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...mdadm-on-ubuntu-16-04#creating-a-raid-5-array. They also have instructions for Raid 1. Give it a look, hopefully it will help you. After my Raid 5 completes, I'll be doing a Raid 1 with the OS partition. Evidently Ubuntu won't boot to a software raid 5 so it's just mirroring that for me.

Reactions: Rob

Members online

Latest posts