Install Mint Cinnamon with Wine: how to find the distro

Pontiu

Reaction score
Credits
I want to install Mint Cinnamon with Wine on an about 7, 8 years old Notebook with an SSD, 250 GB. Which distro do I have to use for it?

Would it be useful to not to install that distro but to run it on a USB-Stick on that Notebook instead?

Hello Pontiu, and welcome to Linux.org! Is Mint Cinnamon going to be the only operating system on this older computer? If so, I'd install it to the hard drive. As far as versions, I'm using 19.1 on 5 different computers, with a couple going back to 2006.

Hello Bayou,

Many thanks!

Is Mint Cinnamon going to be the only operating system on this older computer?
Yes, that is planned, if there is not any other idea.

If so, I'd install it to the hard drive.
Why?

As far as versions, I'm using 19.1 on 5 different computers, with a couple going back to 2006.
Pretty many. A few back to 2006? The computers? Very old.

Which distro should I use? Do I have to install Wine separately? Or is there a Mint containing Wine?

1. Why? If you install to that SSD it will be 10 times faster then a USB drive.
2. Mint Cinnamon is the distro. You can get older versions, like 18.3. I use the newest version which is 19.1.
3. Wine is simple to install. You do it from the Software Manager. You should also consider "Play on Linux" to go with Wine. You can install it from the package manager.

1. I have read the distro on USB completely will be loaded into the RAM, so I thought it should be very fast.
2. Why should one use an older Mint?
3. OK, so I will install Wine and Play on Linux. What is the difference between them?

1. You can try using the USB stick and your ram, but Cinnamon is a pretty large distro. If you went with Mint XFCE or a smaller lighter version of Linux it might run in ram. Try it and see, but I have my doubts. Then install to your SSD hard drive and run it for a comparison. You'll know for sure if you do both.
2. Just because the latest and greatest of any version of Linux is available, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the best version for your computer. There can be driver issues with older computers, and with brand new state of the art machines. Always "Try before you buy." One of the beauties of Linux is the ability to burn them to a USB stick, or a DVD and test them to see if there are going to be any problems, before you install.
3. Play on Linux is a compliment to Wine. It simplifies installing Windows programs into Wine and getting them to run on Linux.

Alright, I will try it like you say it. Thank you very much!

You're welcome, and please keep us posted on your results and ultimately what you will do.

Staff online