install linux problems

ian jannasch

Reaction score
Credits
ian jannasch my laptop has not an ethernet port. i managed to install linux mint on the laptop but not the wifi. I redone the computer but after the first it do not want to install any linux version of mint. it runs on the usb but do not install. any advice

@ian jannasch - Hi Ian, and welcome to linux.org :)

I redone the computer but after the first it do not want to install any linux version of mint. it runs on the usb but do not install. any advice

Is that a separate issue to the WiFi?

That is, is it the case that you cannot now install Linux Mint back onto the computer?

If so, can you tell us:

1. Which Linux Mint, for example Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 32-bit
  2. Some details (specs) about your computer, for example Toshiba Satellite S70-ta laptop, with 8 GB RAM, and 1 TB hard drive

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@ian jannasch - Hi Ian, and welcome to linux.org
1. Yes I tried to redo installation and now it does not want to install on computer at all.

2. I tried cinnamon, mate and kde. I am using rufus to create bootable sub.
3.Lenovo laptop/tablet combination. It has intel atom 5 inside. I even tried lubuntu without sucess, I came futher with mint 18.3 installation. 28GB hard disk. 2GB ran

It installs, bootup to first mint login picture then when needs to ask for password just stay black

1. Yes I tried to redo installation and now it does not want to install on computer at all.
2. I tried cinnamon, mate and kde. I am using rufus to create bootable sub.
3.Lenovo laptop/tablet combination. It has intel atom 5 inside. I even tried lubuntu without sucess, I came futher with mint 18.3 installation. 28GB hard disk. 2GB ran

Hi Ian, and welcome to the site. It seems that English may not be your native language, but that's okay... we will try to take it slowly and help you work out your problem. You accidentally included your reply above inside of Wizard's quote, and that makes it a little harder to find... so try to make sure your replies are outside (below) any other person's quoted replies.

As @arochester suggests, please give us a little more info on your computer.... the exact model number for the Lenovo may help us to identify any special issues that your computer may have. Here is a good example of a special-case Lenovo computer that has problems installing Linux. Right now, I am guessing that what you have is one of the "netbook" types because of the small 28 GB hard disk and the laptop/tablet combination you mentioned.

Those small "hard disks" are not really hard disks at all. Sometimes they call them SSD's.... but they aren't really a Solid State Drive either. Linux usually sees them more like a "SD card" type of flash memory device. I have never used one of those, so I'm not sure if there are any special steps needed to install Linux... but since you managed to install it once already, there is no doubt that Linux can be installed again. I would guess that most Linux distros will install on it, but maybe some will not.

So, things seem totally broken now... the wireless never worked, and you can't fully boot into Mint 18.3. You've tried to re-install but are having trouble... so let's concentrate on that. Let us know the Lenovo model number, and tell us which distro you have on USB that you want to install. And let's go through the installation steps one at a time to see what is failing and how we can get you going with a good working installation.

Cheers

Staff online