Install Linux Kali

mm26434srd

Reaction score
Credits
Hello I want to run Kali Linux on my Mac but don't want to use too much storage, so I don't want to actually install Kali. Can I run Kali as a Live Image from an USB Drive? How much Storage would this use and if I download something would this be stored on my SSD or on my USB Drive

G'day mm. and Welcome to linux.org

First things first.

You sound as if you are experimenting.

kali is probably not the best distro to begin with.

Do you have an interest in Advanced Penetration Testing of Linux distributions. ?

It is usually used by seasoned professionals.

Another Aussie here, G'day and welcome :)

I don't do rude, if you hang around long enough you will learn that :D

I run 90 Linux on 2 main rigs, and I don't do Kali. I have it, I feed it updates (it burps contentedly), that's all.

I have been running Linux exclusively for 5 years.

Seriously, if you need to ask the questions you have asked, you are not ready for Kali. Run another linux for a year or two. At least.

If this is for college or for work, show them what I have said.

Regrets, but true.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Linux Mint is a really good starting point. It can get you acquainted with software manager, synaptic package manager, and terminal.

There are plenty of others as well. Opening a fresh topic and asking for recommendations can be a good place to start.

The information they will ask for is make and model of pc/laptop, ram, cpu, hd size, any other details which are pertinent.

Also be aware that you can download a Linux 'iso' and then 'burn' that to a usb stcik....boot the pc/laptop to that usb stick and actually try the Linux distro before you install it.

It runs in the ram....not the hdd....and it causes no problems to the rest of the pc/laptop.

First things first......open a fresh topic....let us know the specs of your pc/lappie......we can take it from there.

CondoBloke is 100% correct. You can write the ISO to a 5 gig USB stick. If you like it, you can go bigger by installing it to a USB stick, but you'll need one bigger than 5 Gigs for that. When you get to that point, I'd suggest a 32 gig or bigger, bigger is always better. If interested, I just wrote something up on that in this thread https://www.linux.org/threads/difficulties-w-lm-19-1-live-persistence.22106/page-2.

Members online

Latest posts