Install Linux alongside windows in uefi

Yousi

Reaction score
Credits
I want to install Linux alongside Windows and my Device is UEFI and i have gpt disk , i want to install it manually to create swap and home partition and i already have efi partition by windows so should i mount it to /boot/efi or install linux without editing it and if i shoud edit it , after that if i decided to uninstall linux should i canel the mount of the efi partition or Leave it as it is .

And what should I choose in device for bootloader installation

Attachments

• IMG_20201001_203041.png
    IMG_20201001_203041.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 301

I set up my partitions manually on my 64 bit uefi laptop prior to slackware installation.you can't work on partitions say via gParted if they are mounted.in other words in my case I couldn't do it from a booted and running laptop.i did it by booting knoppix from a usb and using gParted from knoppix. Another way is to chose custom from the options of installation media .I will post a screenshot of my partitions later.there are a couple of other things that need to be clarified

Basically leave , don't touch the efi partition you don't need to do any mounting messing at this stage

I would put the Linux boot files into the ESP, just where UEFI will find them.

doesn't the distro do that during install ? it did when i installed slackware with a virgin efi of file type EF00

Basically leave , don't touch the efi partition you don't need to do any mounting messing at this stage
I don't speak about if I mount it during installition or later I speak about if it is a nesscery for booting and I must do it

UEFI is as i (with ltd understanding) , is firmware on the motherboard yes ,if i understand it correctly will be looking for a disk with gpt partition type and an EFI partition , in fact I had Windows 10 on my laptop and in haste wiped everything including the EFI partition. During install of slackware, it reported "EFI partition missing, drop out of install and create efi partition" . One other issue with dual boot of Windows and Linux is that its been reported when Windows does updates it has the habit of "vandalism " sometimes affecting linux boot sector

this is an entry from my efi partition :

Boot0003* slackware-14.2+ HD(1,GPT,192a9aa1-9848-4329-8171-9253ffc0f920,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\slackware-14.2+\grubx64.efi)
Boot0004* USB Drive (UEFI) - Hard Drive BBS(HD,,0x0)..GO..NO........o.B.H.T.

Windows should also have entries on your EFI , i.e Windows would also be using EFI partition

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online