Install from inside LINUX

wieselflink

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all from Sofia / Bulgaria ❤,

I have got by using the popular internet side a cheap nice laptop with windows XP. Next I had the problem that ' thetering ' was NOT working. So I remembered as a German, there is Knoppix. I made a download and with a USB-stick from another one I was able to install beside XP. Next it was possible to use thetering, wonderful! ! ! BUT the laptop is a Dell with low memory and ONLY 800 Mhz. So I searched and foundry Porteus LINUX. Download and is my question :

How can I install thistle distribution beside Knoppix, because NI MORE having the USB-stick. . . .

I can open the ISO file and see ALL files inside , BUT I have NOT found a detailed description, how to install this now, as a step by step instructio.

If anybody knows and replies here this would be very helpful

I even found LINUX groups in Bulgaria but the homepage is in Cyrillic and as a tourist front the deep south west corner of Germany, Bad Krozingen / Freiburg im Breisgau, I can not read this Cyrillic postings. . . . .

So now I wait for a idea from you and I am sure IT'S POSSIBLE ! !

THANKS and in bulgarian language - bladogarja dowischdane - thanks and good bye ❤

Attachments

• tmp-cam--1764287305.jpg
    tmp-cam--1764287305.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 335
  • tmp-cam-1810590453.jpg
    tmp-cam-1810590453.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:

You will need to use Rufus or Etcher to make thistle distribution bootable on a USB stick.
In order to install the thistle distro alongside of Knoppix you will have to shrink the Knoppix partition to make room for your thistle install.

IF you don't have a USB stick that you can use than use a DVD + R or DVD RW.

To burn the .iso image of your thistle distro to the DVD use 'Brasero'.
Knoppix should have Brasero or some other application similar to Brasero.

Thanks BUT this is NOT the answer to my question. I have used Rufus first time to make the USB stick with Knoppix.
BUT NOW NO MORE USB STICK IS AVAILABLE !

SO once more !

How can I install ? Thanks for BETTER ideas and please (!) READ before reply , Merci ❤

From Porteus home page --
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/37...rteus-installation-guide-v-10.html#Hard Drive

Installations to Internal or External Hard Drives:

Porteus can be installed to hard drives, but it should be left in its compressed state (otherwise known as a 'Frugal' installation). Installing extracted files to a hard drive is not supported; it is suggested that you install Slackware Linux instead if you wish to have an Operating System installed to your system natively.

Creating a 'Frugal' installation is very similar to installing on a USB drive. Porteus can be installed on it's own partition, or it can be installed side by side with Windows or another Linux OS on the same partition.

If Porteus is the only Operating System that you are installing to a device (internal or external), follow the instructions given above for burning the ISO to a CD and booting from it, and then run the 'Porteus Installer' program, which can be found in the KDE, LXDE, Razor or Xfce menu under the 'System' heading.

You can also follow the instructions to manually unpack the ISO to your target device and run the lin_start_here or win_start_here scripts as described in the "Install to USB" section.

For directions on installing Porteus to a device that will also run other operating systems, please visit the documentation section and/or the community forum at the Porteus website, at http://porteus.org. These installations are highly variable depending on whether or not Windows needs to be installed on the device, and on what bootloader is used for the system.

*NOTE* If your drive is formatted with a Windows filesystem (e.g. FAT or NTFS), none of the changes you make to your system will survive between reboots (Porteus will default to "Always Fresh" mode). If you would like to save your changes, you can create a '.dat' file container for this purpose. See Appendix B below for more information about this very important feature, which is required for saving your changes to a partition formatted with a Windows filesystem.

Thanks BUT this is NOT the answer to my question. I have used Rufus first time to make the USB stick with Knoppix.
BUT NOW NO MORE USB STICK IS AVAILABLE !

SO once more !

How can I install ? Thanks for BETTER ideas and please (!) READ before reply , Merci ❤
You'll have to 'reformat' the USB stick so you can use it again to make it bootable with the distro of your choice.

So now I have checked some informations.
A) with gparted I make a additional partition on my harddisk.
B) I open the iso file and copy all files to the new partition
C) now I have to edit the grunt list so I can decide at next boot which LINUX distribution I want to use / boot.

D) WHAT IS NECESSARY THAT GRUB ACCEPT THIS and is anything else necessary ?

The mbr must NOT be changed, because at this the BIOS from the laptop jumps after selftest automatically.

Is THIS the correct way?

Thanks for anything HELPFUL reply , Merci ❤

B) I open the iso file and copy all files to the new partition

***NO, you take the .iso image of the distro you want to install and use a program like Rufus to make that distro bootable on a USB stick.***

Once the USB stick has been made bootable plug it in to you pc and start the installation.

IF your computer doesn't boot into the USB stick it's because USB isn't the first choice in the boot menu.
To fix that, go into the BIOS and than go to the Boot Menu and make USB to be the first choice in the menu save the changes and reboot with the USB stick plugged in.

Staff online

Members online