Install a Linux distribution on a external Hard drive

None89

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone, I'm having this problem with puppy Linux I'm trying to install it on a external drive but Everytime i try it says that there's no mounted drive even do it is and the partitions ar well made any help or alternatives I'll be glad to read thank you.

You have not provided much information to go on but -
I seem to recall from my days of running Puppy Linux that it is not really intended to be 'installed' to hard disk. That being said, I have installed it to hard disk but not to an external hard drive.

Are you trying to install it to a USB drive or an external hard drive?

Have you read the information on the Puppy Linux site?

Where are you running Puppy Linux from - a USB drive - or other?
Are you trying to do a 'frugal' or 'full' install?
What is your partition set up?
Which version of Puppy Linux are you trying to install?

Hi everyone, I'm having this problem with puppy Linux I'm trying to install it on a external drive but Everytime i try it says that there's no mounted drive even do it is and the partitions ar well made any help or alternatives I'll be glad to read thank you.
What would be your goal? Having your computer run Puppy on boot when the drive is plugged in? Dual booting? Not sure what other conditions there might be, but knowing your goal with this project really does make a difference.

Arre you doing this under Linux?

Can you give output of "sudo fdisk -l"

I am trying to do the same with a WD 1110 External 1 TB drive. I just discovered on Wikipedia the newest and various partition types GPT / GUID etc. These apparently are better suited for UNIX-LINUX type systems have have a lot of different advantages over the standard MBR types of drives and supposedly share a lot of unified compatibility in most modern large HDDs internal and external. Wikipedia has a comprehensive table of standards for each type of OS systems. I'm experimenting with GPT in LINUX Mint's disk management utilities. Check it out. Search Google for GPT / GUID. This info should help along with the oter posts.

Attachments

• GUID_Partition_Table.pdf
    316.2 KB · Views: 2,008
Yep, GPT is really good, and works really well with UEFI. But, same deal John Sr. What is your goal. The term "external drive" implies a drive that is plugged in only occasionally. So if you are looking to boot from the external drive on some random basis, rather than a dual boot from a couple of different permanently mounted drives - it makes a difference how one would set it up.

Members online