(initramfs) - Laptop blacked out / HELP

Som_Olli

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys,
tried Linux for some time and horribly failed, unfortunately. No fault due to the Linux system, failure solely on my part. I surrender.
Actually, I like it very much and intend to follow up at some time in future but for now, I need a system that works reliable and most of all, is reasonably user-friendly.
It's great if you've got lots of time on your hands, some kind of founded computer knowledge with respective background and are equipped with unlimited patience.
I changed back to my old 12-year-old Mac pro. Not what I wanted but nevertheless at least it's not bleeding disgusting Microsoft and Windows.
Main reason why I desperately asking for your support is the total failure of my Linux laptop (Razer Blade, Linux Mint Cinnamon).
I did something wrong in a rush, followed some YouTube instructions and flattened the whole laptop. Now, only black screen, nothing possible anymore.
My Razor Blade is a 3-year-old powerful machine though not used for gaming, now rendered completely useless due to my idiocy.
I would like to get it back to a state that I can at least switch it back on and running the system.
I've still got my Linux USB for booting but I don't know how to do or - if even - it's still possible to recover.
Your help and support is highly appreciated.
If you've got some instructions, please explain in detail as I'm obviously not the brightest bulb in the chandelier regarding the subject.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Message after switch on is 1.547318] couldn't get size 0x80000........e
BusyBox v1.27.2 (ubuntu 1:1.27.2-ubuntu3.2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands
(doesn't bring me forward, don't know what and how to do)
(initramfs)

The first thing I would do is to boot your live USB with Linux mint.
Second is to open the terminal.
What I want you to do is a so called change root, where a users root directory is temporally changed to another location, in this case your installation. Then you should update your boot image and your boot loader.
To do that you first have to mount your mint partition to a place at the live USB. The best choice is /mnt.
But first you have to find out what ur installations partition is called.
use
Code:
lsblk
And search for the biggest partition.
It may called /dev/sdb2 or so.
Then mount it with
Code:
sudo mount /dev/yourdrive /mnt
Then change root
Code:
sudo chroot /mnt
Generate the bootimage
Code:
sudo update-initramfs - u
Update the bootloader
Code:
sudo update-grub
Then exit and reboot
Code:
exit
reboot

Now your system should boot again.

Last edited:
Hi,
thank you very much but I'm not able to do so.
Once I switch on with the USB mounted, I get option for start with Linux Mint cinnamon which I enter.
I put in my password and afterwards, the screen shows the same message as explained before.
I cannot open terminal, I cannot do anything.
All it says its initramfs with blinking cursor afterwards.

You want to boot the live USB you installed Linux mint with. This error should not show up then. Have you chosen the right drive in your boot menu?
What are the options you can chose from at boot?

*Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
advanced options for Linux Mint
System setup
this is the screen after switch on with USB inserted

Have you to choose your usb drive in the boot menu. Power down your pc. Power it up and then press F8 or F12 before you get to the bootloader. You should be dropped into the boot menu, where you can choose which device you want to use to boot. Choose your USB drive.

If F8 and F12 don't work try the esc key.

I did that. If I select the USB and hit"ENTER", it jumps back to device "ubuntu (SAMSUNG ........)

1588750249691.png

Try the usb-drive again, and if this doesn't work try the Ubuntu option.

Select the advanced options, and then try to boot another (older) kernel. They all should be listed under this option.

Are you shure you inserted the right USB drive? Because u where able to install mint from it, so now it should also work. If you are sure it's the right one try to rewrite the mint iso file onto it. And theb try to select it in the bootmenu.

But how can I do that? I've got no idea. I'm sure it's the right USB.
It's as I initially mentioned, I'm useless with this, never should have tried it in the first place.
I'm suffering the consequences since quite some time.
Do I have to write this laptop completely off, any chance to try something else?

Just insert it to your MacBook and look what's on it. And no, you don't have to write your laptop of

Unbelievable.....you were absolutely right all along......the drive is empty. Probably left it inside when messing around with laptop before I lost everything.
What now?
Download Linux Mint Cinnamon on my Mac and move it to USB?
Then boot again?

Download the Linux mint iso and a iso writing program like Rufus or balena etcher. Write the iso to this drive and then choose it in your laptops bootmenu.

I downloaded "linuxmint-19.3-cinnamon-64bit & balenaEtcher-1.5.81-x64.AppImage" and have it on stick.
What now?
"Write the iso to this drive" - what does it mean?
Or can I just start booting with selecting F12, selecting USB and "ENTER"?
I might as well learn doing it right, if you don't mind helping me.
Sorry about my dumbness.

Members online