Info for all dualbooters

Peer

Reaction score
Credits
The windows Filesystem (ntfs) is shit, so it could happen that the filesystem will courupt a bit, in this case gparted and the Linux installers aren't able to resize this ntfs-partition anymore. (that happened at the most windows installations I had seen). So installing a linux-distro by side of such a windows-installation is difficult. Or just easy?
If is very easy:
1. Boot windows
2. Open the cmd-line with admin-rights
3. Type in : chkdsk /f
4. Reboot windows and agree with checking your disk

After that you will be able to resize this ntfs-partition.

Gathered, perhaps, from your recent assistance to others to install Ubuntu and Manjaro? Or your own circumstances?

Take a tip on the Windows resizing.

Windows likes to have about 15% available for defragging purposes, so if preparing for dual boot it is a good idea to establish the volume used by Windows, multiple by 20/17 and leave that amount unshrunk.

So if it uses 60 GB, allow about 70 GB.

Wiz

That was not the problem, I gave windows more than it needed.
The problem is that you're not able to resize those ntfs-partitions in gparted using the resize and move Funktion.
It just didn't work.

It also has a little "!" before the partitions name.
IMG-20190523-WA0004.jpg

I had the same problem recently with my dual boot system. I had previously shrank the Windows partition way down because I didn't want to use it, but then I bought Fallout 76, which only will run on WIndows. The dang thing is a disk hog, 60 gigs plus updates require another 60 (or so they say when you don't have but 7 left). So when I went to expand KDE Partition Manager said it couldn't. I installed GParted, just in case it was an app error, but same thing. Rather than using the command line in Windows, I used it's disk manager and corrected the errors after which I was able to expand the disk in the same Windows utility. Just for the record, you can shrink the disk using it as well.

If anyone's interested in how to get there, open Windows Explorer (file manager, not internet :) ) right click on This PC in Win10 or My Computer in previous, pick manage, then in the left pane near the bottom is Disk Management. In my previous life I was a Windows system admin. Since then I saw the light and came to Linux, an am no longer a system admin for any OS.

I understand, Peer, thanks for the shot :)

If Windows is to be kept, it is always a good idea to defrag it before preparing for Linux addition.

Windows historically has had a nasty habit of placing certain files, often System files, near the end of the drive or partition, which then makes it difficult to reduce the size of the drive to allow for another OS. Surprised? Not.

So a defrag, followed by using Disk Management will often do the trick.

When I bought our Toshiba Satellite five years ago, it has a 1 TB HDD, and shipped with Windows 8.1 (yucch). 1 TB equates to about 909 GiB. So I tried to shrink it by over half and Disk Management on that unit would only allow for it to be shrunk by half, to 454 GiB.

I took that, installed Linux, and then was able to use GParted to further expand space available to Linux. In fact, I then blew away Windows.

Cheers

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts