Increased my virtual box's linux base memory, and now I cannot login.

Griev0us4

Reaction score
Credits
I think I done something dumb. I decided to double my virtual box's kali linux v6.1 base memory (RAM) from 2048mb to 4622mb (my laptop still have enough memory to share), because I ran out of memory to download software into my machine. Once I turn off my linux machine, I double the memory, and turn it on, went to the login page, fill in the username & password, click enter, and then, the machine just turn "blink", and the page is still my login page, but without anything being fill.

I know its not wrong password, because I purposefully try that, and it give the right response stating "password incorrect".

This is very bad. Returning back to 2048mb did not restore it. And I only have last latest 3 days old snapshot. Before I try and ruined my days works, some helps would be nice. Thank you.

Last edited:

My first step would be to look up "linux login loop" and try some of those fixes.

Moved to the Kali sub-forum.

Sounds like good practice of how to hack back into your own system.

The Golden rule with VMs is never give your VM more than half your installed Ram.
happy0035.gif

How much actual RAM do you have?

base memory (RAM) from 2048mb to 4622mb (my laptop still have enough memory to share),
4622 is a strange number to assign RAM, and not a power of 2. Why did you choose it?

because I ran out of memory to download software into my machine.
Unless your VM was running something very intensive, 2GB RAM wouldn't be a hindrance to installing updates. Are you sure your VM didn't run out of virtual hard drive space, in which case upgrading RAM would not help?

Well that is because I'm dumb. My earlier mistakes were confusion between base memory/RAM, core, & size.

My RAM was 2048mb, but I buff it to 4622mb without understanding it. So yes, the additional boost is unnecessary.
What I meant to do and should do from the beginning is to increase the virtual machine size, not RAM. It run out of space with it initial 20gb.
However, I still cannot fully complete the size increase, due to another error I can't figured it out.
This is not good, but not the worse outcome. I have a backup file but not with the latest works, and I'm still learning, not working.

I have 16GB of Installed Ram...so I give my VMs 6GB of Ram...of cause I don't run them at the same time and give my Linux Distros about 20GB of space.
happy0035.gif

I increase the video memory from 128 to 256MB. I just installed Ubuntu in Virtualbox...

You can increase the size of your VM eg. 20GB to 40GB but I've never tried it. Having watched several youtube videos on how to do it...it's much better and safer if you create the size at the beginning.
anim_64.gif

Last edited:

Members online