increase wifi signal

Chris Rachal

Reaction score
Credits
I did some research, I was reading that if you turned off power management iwconfig, it would help with the signal. I was wondering does it work and how do you go about doing it?

Perhaps this will help.

Scroll down to "Disable power management for wireless card".

This may be useful.

Are you sure the issue is with your computer and not your wifi itself? Older technologies are going to keep it from being faster. Also, older technologies get more bogged down with the more devices that start using it. So for instance, I believe 802.11b provides up to 11 Mbits. If you have 5 devices connected and using it, then each is getting only about 2 Mbits, even if you're paying for a 50 Mbit connection to the internet. But if you're using 802.11n, I think the speed is 54 Mbits, divided by those 5 would still be giving you 10 Mbits each. My numbers there aren't scientific or accurate, but you get the idea. So you need to look at all the devices you have connected and see if maybe they aren't bogged down as well. Maybe it's time to buy a new router. Also, if you're on the extent of it's reach, you're going to get lost packets and a slower connection than something that's only a few feet away. Maybe you need a mesh network or an extender. I used to have that problem when I'd go out to my patio. Both my personal laptop and work laptop would get poopy (that's the technical term) network connections and sometimes drop them. I had to buy a couple mesh routers so I could stay connected in all corners of the house, and outside.

poopy......
b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

Are you sure the issue is with your computer and not your wifi itself? Older technologies are going to keep it from being faster. Also, older technologies get more bogged down with the more devices that start using it. So for instance, I believe 802.11b provides up to 11 Mbits. If you have 5 devices connected and using it, then each is getting only about 2 Mbits, even if you're paying for a 50 Mbit connection to the internet. But if you're using 802.11n, I think the speed is 54 Mbits, divided by those 5 would still be giving you 10 Mbits each. My numbers there aren't scientific or accurate, but you get the idea. So you need to look at all the devices you have connected and see if maybe they aren't bogged down as well. Maybe it's time to buy a new router. Also, if you're on the extent of it's reach, you're going to get lost packets and a slower connection than something that's only a few feet away. Maybe you need a mesh network or an extender. I used to have that problem when I'd go out to my patio. Both my personal laptop and work laptop would get poopy (that's the technical term) network connections and sometimes drop them. I had to buy a couple mesh routers so I could stay connected in all corners of the house, and outside.
@TechnoJunky,

You're right it is the wifi itself. I just thought there were tweaks in linux itself that could help. I have intel with that pesky wireless card. It works. I don't blame linux. I actually get better signal or speed with linux instead of windows 10. Not sure if that makes sense.

I love linux. Off topic, but i like those avatars pics. I need to find out how to change mind.

I need to find out how to change mine.....Just click on your name up at the top of any page that you happen to be on......then click on account details.....a little way down the page it will have the heading Avatar.....with a line beneath it saying "click here to change avatar"...

I need to find out how to change mine.....Just click on your name up at the top of any page that you happen to be on......then click on account details.....a little way down the page it will have the heading Avatar.....with a line beneath it saying "click here to change avatar"...
Yeah i figured it out kinda. You just choose from file, but it depends on the size.