Incorrect Password

Patrick Nolan

Reaction score
Credits
I have just loaded Linux Lite on to a Samsung N150 Plus. No problems at all installing it. As a first time user I have what may sound as a silly question.
I closed the netbook lid and password prompt was requested to log on again, I typed in the password I used in setup but it keeps rejecting it as incorrect. I know it is right, as took care to record it.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks
Patrick

Hi Patrick, and welcome! Checking the CAPS LOCK key is always the first thing to check as it is an easy mistake to make. Going back over the link that @CptCharis provided, I see that user @Greentea never responded with a solution (and he/she also never mentioned what kind of computer they were using).

So, with a sudden "AHA!" moment just now, knowing that you are using a netbook, I looked up your Samsung and see that it has a similar keyboard to an Acer netbook that I have. And if CAPS LOCK is not your problem, then I think I know what it might be as it has bitten me before too.

Look along your keys on the right side of the keyboard... note that many of them have a secondary function. If the Samsung N150 photo I'm looking at matches yours, then the letter U also equals 4. The letter I also equals 5. The letter O also equals 6. And so on. These alternative keys are also on P, J, K, L, and M.

On my Acer, these secondary keys are activated with the Fn key (next to the Windows Logo key). But what happens sometimes is that these secondary keys are activated by default as primary keys instead.... causing you to mistype your password. For example, if your password was "like" but the secondary keys are active... then you end up typing "352e" but you don't see the characters when entering a password. Fun stuff, right? You could probably type "Fn-l, Fn-i, Fn-k, e" and it would unlock your screen.

The solution on my Acer is to hit Fn-NumLock keys to toggle the secondary keys back to the secondary status. I hope that will work for you also. If not, Google will probably help us find the method to toggle the keys on the Samsung.

Cheers

just press enter, without a password.

Hi Patrick and welcome to linux.org :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, can't see and trips over LInux Manuals, curses)

While there is merit in the above suggestions, it may be better to bid a fond adieu to the old password and come up with a new (or else see if the old works for you with this approach)

Linux Lite, a great little Distro I quite like (I run about 80) has a not-bad manual. Online.

If you go here

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#respassword

... and follow the "destructions" (what wife Elaine and I call instructions when we are breaking in a new appliance), you should be good.

Just click on the line that says "resetting password".

Let us know how you go.

Cheers and avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online