Incompatible Bluetooth Adapter

Patrick65

Reaction score
Credits
I'm not necessarily a newbie or maybe I am. I'm 70 years old. My late younger brother installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32-bit on my desktop about 8 years ago (I think). I used Windows before that and had nothing but problems with it. The best thing I like about Linux is that it is virtually problem free. The worst thing about it is finding stuff that is compatible with it. Which is my issue right now. That issue was made worse in the past when people try to explain a solution to my problem in computer terms (language) that I don't understand. I couldn't tell you what a bit or a byte is. Now that you know where I'm coming from, I'll explain my problem as best as I can and I hope you can help me in layman's language if there is a solution. Yesterday I bought a set of Skullcandy Wireless Simplicity Jib+ Earbuds. My hearing is real bad and I don't want to disturb people around me while I watch stuff on my notebook and my desktop. The ear buds paired up with my notebook and work great. When I tried to get them to work on my desktop, my computer told me it couldn't find an adapter. I didn't even know what an adapter was in computer jargon. I Googled it to find out what it was. I called Staples to find out if they had what I needed and picked up an adapter a couple of hours ago. It is an "IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter". After opening the package to read how to install it, I noticed that it was for Windows 7, 8.1 or 10. My question: Is there anything that I can do (that is both easy and understandable), to make it compatible with my system or should I just return it? I'll slip in one more unrelated question: Is there a version of Google Earth that will run properly on my system? Thank you.

Gday Patrick, Welcome to Linux.org

Google Earth probably needs a 64 bit system....(I think)
Tap menu and type in settings....you will find a page that tells you all about your desktop. Look specifically for either 33 bit or 64 bit.

On your desktop, there may be an icon etc in the taskbar for sound. You will need to right or left click on it to see ’output’....the output would be your speakers at the moment.....try changing that to ’line out’....hopefully, that will direct the sound to your earbuds.....no need for your adapter.

Let us know how you get on.....there are other people with more knowledge than me when it comes to sound

Last edited:
G'day Patrick from another Aussie and welcome to linux.org :)

Is there a version of Google Earth that will run properly on my system?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

So as not to confuse our helpers, you can start a new Thread at General Linux

https://linux.org/forums/general-linux.143/

I would simply title it

"Is there a version of Google Earth that will run properly on my system?"

... and tell the readers you're running Linux Mint 17 32-bit version.

Here's an article I will mention again there, for a reading guide

https://itsfoss.com/install-google-earth-ubunu/

and it can be used for Mint. Note that there is a part in it

Installing Google Earth in Ubuntu 16.04 (old deprecated method)

Any more trouble?

Click the arrowhead/caret beside "Installing" and more will drop down.

I'll explain in more detail at the new thread, and give us the brand and model for your desktop, please.

@Condobloke - Brian, if Patrick starts the new Thread, I will simply copy your #2 over there and trim it to the Google Earth content.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I just had a late thought
Tap on menu and type in Pulse Audio Volume Control (PAVC) ....if it shows as being already on your system, then all is good.

If it doesnt show up......then tap menu and type in software manager.......and type into the top right hand corner of that....Pulse Audio Volume control.....and then click on Install.

Once that is installed that should give you a better chance of locating 'line out'

(If you have already found it then just ignore this post)

Thanks for your reply. For some reason my OS doesn't give me the option of changing my "output" to "line out. Also if this helps, when I go to System Settings under the Hardware section and click the Bluetooth icon, a window pops up and in it is a box that says "No Bluetooth Adapters found". I may be wrong but it seems like my system needs/wants an adapter to have Bluetooth..

I couldn't tell you what a bit or a byte is.
A "byte" is a mouthful of "bits". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My hearing is real bad and I don't want to disturb people around me while I watch stuff on my notebook and my desktop.
I "hear" ya brother! (me too)

I called Staples to find out if they had what I needed and picked up an adapter a couple of hours ago. It is an "IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter". After opening the package to read how to install it, I noticed that it was for Windows 7, 8.1 or 10. My question: Is there anything that I can do (that is both easy and understandable), to make it compatible with my system or should I just return it?
If it were me - I would just plug it into the computer and see if it is recognized (they always say for WIndows 7, 8.1, or 10 but in my experience it gernerally works with Linux too!). I have used USB Bluetooth adapters on my Linux box and they worked well. You may have to plug the USB adapter in and then restart the machine to get the operating system to recognize it. It may be possible to look up the exact specs of that particular USB adapter and determine if it is supported under Linux - but it is much easier to just try it! Hopefully the Bluetooth protocol of the adapter is compatible with the earbuds.
Is there a version of Google Earth that will run properly on my system?
OpenStreetMap works good in the browser. I thought Google Earth did also. Are you looking for an application which can be installed and used "offline"? Or perhaps is the 'Google Earth' for satellite imagery?

Folks, let's keep Google Earth for another Thread please - less for me to move and keep this Thread to the main subject. :)

Wizard

I just had a late thought
Tap on menu and type in Pulse Audio Volume Control (PAVC) ....if it shows as being already on your system, then all is good.

If it doesnt show up......then tap menu and type in software manager.......and type into the top right hand corner of that....Pulse Audio Volume control.....and then click on Install.

Once that is installed that should give you a better chance of locating 'line out'

(If you have already found it then just ignore this post)

I just tried your late night thought and I still wasn't able to change it to line out. I have given up and ordered a "Plugable USB Bluetootth adapter" that is compatible from Amazon. I will just return the Iogear adapter. Thanks for your help.
PS. Two Aussies answered my question. Does everyone in Aussieland use Linux? Just kidding. My ex lives in Canowindra, NSW. Patrick65 from Canada hope's you have a great day.

A "byte" is a mouthful of "bits". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I "hear" ya brother! (me too)

If it were me - I would just plug it into the computer and see if it is recognized (they always say for WIndows 7, 8.1, or 10 but in my experience it gernerally works with Linux too!). I have used USB Bluetooth adapters on my Linux box and they worked well. You may have to plug the USB adapter in and then restart the machine to get the operating system to recognize it. It may be possible to look up the exact specs of that particular USB adapter and determine if it is supported under Linux - but it is much easier to just try it! Hopefully the Bluetooth protocol of the adapter is compatible with the earbuds.

OpenStreetMap works good in the browser. I thought Google Earth did also. Are you looking for an application which can be installed and used "offline"? Or perhaps is the 'Google Earth' for satellite imagery?

Thank's for your reply and humor. I failed to mention in my question that I did try the Iogear and it didn't work. And yes, Street Map works great, but I like Google Earth for the satellite imagery. Have a great day.

Members online