In terms of resolution - how can I connect my MacBook with a monitor?

Jalux

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everybody,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro (from year 2015) with a Retina display. (please don't criticize for buying a MacBook)
Is there a possibility that Linux switches automatically the screen resolution to Full HD when connecting to an external monitor (the resolution settings on the MacBook are off course higher)?

Thanks for your answers :)

I don't know about all the desktop environments, but KDE doesn't "automatically" switch the resolution, until after you set what it should be manually. So the very first time I plug in my external monitor, the resolution was very low. I went into settings and told it what I wanted it to be and now it remembers it and automatically displays it when I plug it in.

I don't know about all the desktop environments, but KDE doesn't "automatically" switch the resolution, until after you set what it should be manually. So the very first time I plug in my external monitor, the resolution was very low. I went into settings and told it what I wanted it to be and now it remembers it and automatically displays it when I plug it in.
Thanks for your answer :) You're also using a MacBook, don't you?

Linux should and usually does default to the recommend resolution of the monitor providing the graphics card is capable of the monitors recommended resolution.

I suggest creating a bootable Live DVD or Live USB and try whatever Linux Distro you are interested in using and see how Linux runs on your MacBook.

You will then have a better idea of what you're wanting to do is actually possible and going to work.

Linux should and usually does default to the recommend resolution of the monitor providing the graphics card is capable of the monitors recommended resolution.

I suggest creating a bootable Live DVD or Live USB and try whatever Linux Distro you are interested in using and see how Linux runs on your MacBook.

You will then have a better idea of what you're wanting to do is actually possible and going to work.
Thank you poor guy! :) I'm currently trying it with virtual box (doesn't work in terms of resolution), I'm gonna try it with a LIVE DVD.

Perhaps these will help to create a Live Bootable media.
Make certain you understand these before comminting to installing to a hard drive.

Although for Ubuntu it should work for most standard Linux Distros.

Perhaps these will help to create a Live Bootable media.
Make certain you understand these before comminting to installing to a hard drive.

Although for Ubuntu it should work for most standard Linux Distros.

Awesome! The first article says that it will be easier with a DVD, so I won't use a USB drive.
Why do you say I should make certain that I understand them when I'm just installing them on a DVD instead on the MacBook itself?

Awesome! The first article says that it will be easier with a DVD, so I won't use a USB drive.
Why do you say I should make certain that I understand them when I'm just installing them on a DVD instead on the MacBook itself?
Please don't take this the wrong way as no offense is intended.

Some users haphazardly graze over the information posted and wind up installing the Linux Distro instead of just test driving the Live Media Linux Distro.

I have no idea as to your computer knowledge or experience with Linux or running Linux Live Media so a word of caution never hurts imo.

Members online