In Command shell update your system...

J

Jeraldson

To do this you need sudo rights... press the keys : Ctrl + Alt + T and type in the following command:::::: "sudo apt-get update" enjoy your latest software and be current....

Actually, 'apt-get update' will only update the package lists, it doesn't update any installed programs/packages. To update any out of date packages that are installed on your machine you also need to use:
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

And if there are any held-back packages when you update, you should then use:
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
The held back packages are typically packages that have new/changed dependencies. dist-upgrade will upgrade the packages and install and new dependencies and uninstall any unneeded dependencies.

And after any dist upgrade, there might be some outdated/orphaned packages that are installed, or left in the cache which are no longer needed. So you should also remove them using:
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

On my PC's with Debian based distros installed on them, I've put all four commands into a script called doupdate, which I store in the bin directory in my home directory (~/bin):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove

So when I want to update my machine, I just issue the command doupdate and it performs all of the update operations in one go!

Last edited:
And, of course, that only works on linux distros that use APT. Won't work on TinyCore, for example.

The Tiny Core Linux is a distro that is very small in size and its the system i use on my standby laptop.

The update/upgrade this distro is actually very easy but the Tiny Core website is chaotic in giving the information. Some pages are outdated ( from 2.x or 3.x versions)

So in my case I had version 4.5.5 and I wanted to upgrade to 4.7.6.

First you have to find what version you have.

Open terminal (any user) and type : version

Then the real upgrade begin.

The upgrade is made from 2 steps: first upgrade the TCL (Tiny Core Linux) core and then the extensions ( tcz)

So to upgrade the TCL itself you do not need to burn a new CD or use USB sticks , it is enough to download the latest iso file. In my case I downloaded “Core-current.iso” on another linux machine ( client of the TCL server) . Can be made also directly from TCL server but in my case I did not had a software that uncompress ISO files.

Then open the ISO file with a archive manager ( or a similar program that is able to extract files from ISO files). Inside there is a boot folder.

Then copy the content of the unpacked ISO to the TCL disk. In my case I copied from a client machine to the TCL server in a location where I have access to write. In my TCL server I use a USB stick as a boot partition “sdc1“. So I saved the files to a sda1 disk.

Now login as “root” (on TCL server from terminal use “su root“).

Now check what files from the old TCL distro did you changed and which ones are identical with the files from new unpacked ISO file. In my case only /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg was customized by me. So I copied all the other files , one by one, and I overwrite the old files from TCL 4.5.5 with the new files (from ISO file).

Then optionally backup the personal settings , if necessary.

Then reboot the system.

After reboot login again as a normal user or as root and check the “version” command to see the new TCL distro version.

The second part is to upgrade the TCL extensions.

This can be upgraded independently from TCL core/kernel upgrade described above. Personally I prefer to upgrade them together.

So you have to login as root ( from terminal use “su root“). Then type “tce-update“. Follow the instructions on the screen ( you have to press ENTER ) and at the end reboot again.

And this is all you have to do : no CD/USB, only a copy and two reboots. All are done remote.

As an alternative to the ISO unpacking you can use the TCL mirrors that give the upgrade files already unpacked. In my case I was not sure which files I have to copy and I used ISO archive as a reference.

^^^^ You could have just posted this link or at least added it to your post. It's always nice to credit the person who actually wrote the article.

And, of course, that only works on linux distros that use APT. Won't work on TinyCore, for example.

Damn, I could have sworn I wrote something along those lines in my post..... However reading my post again, I can see it's not there!

Grrr, I think my laptops trackpad has struck again..... Damn thing is massive, I keep accidentally hitting it whilst typing and end up with the cursor jumping to wherever the mouse cursor is and end up typing in the wrong place. However, looks like this time I must've accidentally removed an entire paragraph! :/ Oops!

Actually, 'apt-get update' will only update the package lists, it doesn't update any installed programs/packages. To update any out of date packages that are installed on your machine you also need to use:
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Code:
The held back packages are typically packages that have new/changed dependencies. dist-upgrade will upgrade the packages and install and new dependencies and uninstall any unneeded dependencies.

And after any dist upgrade, there might be some outdated/orphaned packages that are installed, or left in the cache which are no longer needed. So you should also remove them using:
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

On my PC's with Debian based distros installed on them, I've put all four commands into a script called doupdate, which I store in the bin directory in my home directory (~/bin):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove

So when I want to update my machine, I just issue the command doupdate and it performs all of the update operations in one go!

Good idea, good sir..... :3 I'm surprised I didn't make that script mySELF....... :D I mean, I DID make scripts that go to my Testing_Grounds folder for Programming 'n stuff..... :3

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

Code:
#!/bin/bash

For Fedora packages it's sudo yum update

Members online