iMac High Sierra 10.13.6 - switching to Linux ( Tibia )

lambsauceps4

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone.

I would never expect me to be writing a topic in here, but You gotta do what You gotta do.
I play a 23 year old game called Tibia. Yesterday Winter update happened, everything worked perfect, but today without saying ANYthing CipSoft ( owners ) block the possibility of playing for any Mac user below Cataclist. I have a MID 2010 21.5inch iMac [ 3,06 GHZ intel core i3, 4GB memory, Radeon 4670 256 MB ] and I simply cannot update the system up to date.

The only one option for me is to switch for Linux and download the Linux version of the game that works fine, BUT I'm an absolute noob when it comes to IT. Last time I did a format it was Windows XP freaking 12 years ago or something... You have multiply guides online but there is always some kind of issue and thats what im most afraid of :( basically that im gonna screw myself even more.

I know what to do step by step ( Etcher, flash disc, boot etc etc ) but I've read comments about audio/wifi/mic problems.... I can live without audio and mic on that PC but I NEED wifi.... I dont have even a spare "dollar" at the moment for any adapters or second hand PC/iMac.

- How do I know/check BEFORE switching is everything going to be fine afterwards? I just literally need wifi connection, Tibia, Spotify and browser ( youtube ) - thats it, but it HAS TO work.... otherwise im gonna be in the weeds even deeper :(

There was a guy on Tibia forum saying the guys will bend over to help here so do no hesitate with any question so thank You in advance and lemme welcome myself on Linux board lol:D

Regards
Desperate Lamb Sauce

Hello everyone.
- How do I know/check BEFORE switching is everything going to be fine afterwards? I just literally need wifi connection, Tibia, Spotify and browser ( youtube ) - thats it, but it HAS TO work.... otherwise im gonna be in the weeds even deeper :(
Regards
Desperate Lamb Sauce
Welcome to the forums @lambsauceps4 ! You can create a liveusb(Looks like Etcher works with MacOS as well) with the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice and then boot into a live environment and then you can check if your wifi works. Also it might be useful to know what video card you have in your system that way you can look up what drivers you need ahead of time, if you have an intel or AMD graphics card you should be good to go. If you have an nvidia card you have to choose between opensource driver(nouveau) and the proprietary nvidia driver, with gaming you are better of with the nvidia driver unless you are only playing old games. I hope that helps and good luck!

Members online