Im using Fedora...

R

Robbie

Im using Fedora and going off of the linux.org site. I am in the begginers course and I tried doing this command

mkdir --verbose my_friends

and it didnt do anything, I was wondering if that might be because the site is going off of debian, or would that matter? Are Debian and Fedora the same or similar? Or are they different? And if they are different can I still keep using fedora with the beginners course on linux.org. reason why I am using fedora is because Im taking Linux in college and that is what the instructor has decdied we are going to learn. I have fedora set up on VM wondering if that might cuase a problem as well, thank you for your time.

If you do not know how to use a COMMAND for eg. mkdir,cp,mv,rm,touch you can refer the man pages. Just type man(space)COMMAND . You can see the syntax and brief description of the command.

In your case, mkdir(space)PATH is the correct syntax. The problem is you did not give the PATH eg. /root/home/Robbie .... hope you do it correctly

No! Fedora and Debian are not same although they both are free open source OS, Fedora is developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and owned by Red Hat....whereas Debian is owned by some other community i am not aware of that.

Setting up VM can never pose a problem, so don't worry!!

Fedora and Debian are slightly different command-wise although the basic commands will be the same (mkdir, cp, rm, ls, and so on) the biggest difference early on is in the packages you can download and how they are downloaded. You will be using 'yum' to download things rather than 'apt-get' (which you may see quite often Googling for help since this is the package manager Ubuntu uses which is arguably the most widely used Linux flavor.)

But I wouldn't worry about the for now. Linux is Linux and 90% of what you learn on one distro can be carried to (or easily adapted to) most other distros.

Members online