I'm thinking about getting into TinyCore again

VanillaCoffee

Reaction score
Credits
I've been thinking a lot about Tiny Core Plus and getting back into it. When I first started I lost interest in it after a week or so when I had issues getting apps to work with it.

I would like to build my own desktop environment and TinyCore seems to be good for that although I've got a lot to learn about TinyCore I would like to add FireFox to it or maybe Opera, something very light but modern so I think Opera will be the choice of browser and then Libra Office and a few other Apps and then I want to customize the desktop adding wallpapers and a panel and other stuff. I'm not sure if Tiny Core can do that?

@VanillaCoffee since you where acquiring information about "Puppy"..........give EasyOS a shot.

I'm quite sure you'd appreciate it and comes with a LOT of security features.

@VanillaCoffee since you where acquiring information about "Puppy"..........give EasyOS a shot.

I'm quite sure you'd appreciate it and comes with a LOT of security features.
I'm interested in both, I'm planing on doing a Tiny Core install on an old Panasonic CF-18 and a Puppy install on a Asus eee PC netbook. I'll have a look at Easy OS although I had looked at that before but I never found any download links for it.

Last edited:
I'm interested in both, I'm planing on doing a Tiny Core install on an old Panasonic CF-18 and a Puppy install on a Asus eee PC netbook. I'll have a look at Easy OS although I had looked at that before but I never found any download links for it.
Latest version "Kirkstone". You're welcome :) (Note: Direct download link)

I'm looking forward to learning more about Tiny Core I haven't got the laptop yet but it will arrive in the next day of three. I selected the Panasonic CF-18 because it was cheap and it is under powered but a solid laptop good for a Tiny Core candidate, maybe not the ultimate but it will do for running Tiny Core and learning about Tiny Core Linux. I have been learning a few bash commands already.

I think once I install it I will attempt to install FireFox or Opera web browser or a better light weight web browser that is supported. Once I learn how to install apps I can then start working on other things like customizing the desktop, I'd be interested to see how Libra Office runs under Tiny Core.

Back to this thread again.

How do I install TinyCorePlus to HDD? its not giving me any options in the installer.

i also am getting into tinycore... having my share of difficulties. see my post about their forum registration being broken...

if you are just looking for your programs to still be there on reboot you can set it on app download.

so for example:
use mount tool to mount sda1
open app browser and pick an app, say nano.tcz
but before hitting 'go' hit 'set' in the bottom right corner of the app installer. a list of devices will show in the panel. choose sda1.
this will store the data in /mnt/sda1 by creating a tce directory. when you shutdown choose backup with sda1.
now data for your home and opt directories are stored in mnt/sda1/tce/mydata. those directories will be restored on reboot.
a good way to check to see if it is working is to change the wbar settings to, for instance, make the icons huge and put them in the lefthand corner. that way when you boot you'll know immediately if you booted from the correct drive.

the tinycore wiki says it will automatically boot from sda1 (or whatever drive you chose) the next time. but it isn't the case for me. so every time before i hit enter and choose 'boot tiny core', i hit TAB which brings up boot options. just add tce=sda1 to the end of the boot commands and it will return you to your original settings and files and programs. this is actually kind of a good thing, because i can keep one setup on sda1, another on sda2 and so on.

so i don't even see the need to use the installer. i think it pretty much does the same thing anyways except you may not need to enter in a bootcode. doing it the way i described gives a better idea of how the system is put together.

Last edited:
When you install it, it gives you the opportunity to tell it where to put things, just read the installation notes. ;)

(I set tce, home, opt, language, keyboard, etc, before it is added to disk.)

@VanillaCoffee :-

This is the listing for all the different series Barry's put together of EasyOS:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/releases/

Some of our members find they have problems with the very newest releases, so frequently "drop back" to an earlier series. I always found "Buster" worked best for me, although I've since lost interest in it.

Mike. ;)

How do you install it?

I managed to install it years ago when it was 12MB in file size. It doesn't give me any options in the installer I'm completely lost with it.

I will have another look at this to see if it can be installed. I have lots of ideas for a Linux OS. I will call it Plum OS and I want to import some ideas from RISC OS Acorns operating system but build my Plum OS on top of TinyCore so TinyCore will be my foundation. I want to create a desktop environment that is different from the rest.

I give up with this crap I will find the old version at least that had a working installer.

I give up with this crap I will find the old version at least that had a working installer.
Hi VanillaCoffee,

I've been using TinyCore since the project first went public and I'll confess, I haven't actually used an "installer" since then.

Let me know if can help with the specifics of an installation.

Members online