Im so dumb i forgot....

Kiwicaster

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys! New convert here. Still very new to all the Linux stuff but I am loving it so far. I installed Linux Mint on my PC, but forgot to set up the dual boot screen. I have Windows 10 on here but it automatically directs me to Linux. How do I set it up so I get the dual boot screen to come up? Probably easy but im a bit Noobish :)

If you installed the Linux system with Grub (what generally happens most of the times with standard and manual partitioning if not specified otherwise) what you should probably do is to go to Bios settings and have the Linux operating system be the first option when booting. After this you should be able to see the grub menu.

When you switch on, you should get the grub boot page [for about 10-20 seconds] giving you the option to continue the Linux boot or select windows, provided you still have win 10 undamaged on the hard drive try
sudo update-grub in the terminal

I have tried that thanks and ill test it shortly, yea when I load I dont get a grub screen just boots directly to linux mint. Ill try it and let you know if it worked.

When you switch on, you should get the grub boot page [for about 10-20 seconds] giving you the option to continue the Linux boot or select windows, provided you still have win 10 undamaged on the hard drive try
sudo update-grub in the terminal
still no grub screen

ok this is taken from the Ubuntu tutorials

Section - IV: Unable to Load into Windows & Booting directly into Ubuntu

In case you boot directly into Ubuntu OS and do not get the GRUB menu, perform the following steps:

• Create a file: /boot/grub/custom.cfg by running the command: sudo -H gedit /boot/grub/custom.cfg with these contents:
menuentry "Windows (UEFI)" {

search --set=root --file /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

}
Note: Copy and paste the above code into the Gedit window. Save the file and quit Gedit.

• Reboot your system and you should be able to see an entry titled Windows (UEFI)
  • Select it and the Windows OS should boot.

well thats frustrating doesnt want to know about it. still loads directly into Linux. I can boot them separately by going into F12 but yea still no grub

If you installed the Linux system with Grub (what generally happens most of the times with standard and manual partitioning if not specified otherwise) what you should probably do is to go to Bios settings and have the Linux operating system be the first option when booting. After this you should be able to see the grub menu.
Done that as well :/ windows and Linux seem to want to have a stand off

OK .. Looked back through this thread, the only conclusion I can come to is when you installed Linux, somehow you managed to damage your windows' installation,
Try running the windows repair program, but be aware, it is likely to re-activate windows quick-start and secure boot [which you can then deactivate in the Bios] , along with killing your Linux, but fixing Linux is an easer proposition

• Insert your Ubuntu CD, reboot your computer and set it to boot from CD in the BIOS and boot into a live session. You can also use a LiveUSB if you have created one in the past.
  • Install and run Boot-Repair
  • Click "Recommended Repair".
Now reboot your system. The usual GRUB boot menu should appear. If it does not, hold Left Shift while booting. You will be able to choose between Ubuntu and Windows.

Ok so its fixed Created the config file as mentioned above, rebooted and it didnt work, so I then used the command sudo update-grub

It worked after that!!! Thanks so much!!!

Being an Aussie, who of course are as friendly as Kiwis, this would be an appropriate time to invite you to swing on over to Member Introductions and meet a few more of The Gang.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Being an Aussie, who of course are as friendly as Kiwis, this would be an appropriate time to invite you to swing on over to Member Introductions and meet a few more of The Gang.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks I have done this now :)

Members online