I'm new. I'm so new I don't know what threads are.

Gary Kirby

Reaction score
Credits
I just want to know if there is a desk top 3d scanner that is compatible with Linux.

Hi Gary, and welcome! Well, you've managed to create a "thread" right here in the Getting Started forum... well done! A "thread" is not a Linux thing... it's a forum thing. It is a "threaded conversation" so that many others can join in and assist, and it does not have some of the limitations that are in place on Profile Status updates. A "thread" is the preferred place to discuss technical issues. You may also want to seek out 3D scanning/printing forums where maybe more specialized knowledge can be found.

I doubt in my life that 3D scanning or printing will be something that I will ever pursue, and so your question is way over my head. But Google is always a good source of info when we don't know things. Here is a 2018 review of twenty 3D scanners ranging from $50 - $50,000. Wow! The few that mention Linux compatibility are rather low end, though. The end of the article also discusses some differences between the different types of scanners that you might desire. This page may also offer some useful info about Open Source 3D scanning, but I did not spend any time there to try to assess their material.

Google may also have more, or at least is worth checking somewhat regularly. I'm sure this is a quickly evolving field and changes probably occur rapidly. Good luck!

Cheers

Thanks for your response. I'm beginning to wish I'd never bought that printer to start with. I've watched revues and tutorials until I'm numb, but I can't get enough info to risk shelling out what is looking like over a thousand dollar investment. And at my age, I'm getting a very late start.

Well, we all have different goals and desires. If 3D printing is a strong enough goal for you, then I'm sure you can get there. If it's a business move, you can probably even deduct your expense, but that may not lessen the headache of learning the new technology.

Everyone here loves to promote Linux every chance we get, but the game of 3D printing may be best played with Windows or Mac. A big reason for this is that many hardware manufacturers fail to provide Linux drivers for their devices... they don't seem to care about the small market share of Linux users. This happens with all kinds of computer hardware and is a never-ending problem. Many smart Linux developers will create their own drivers and share them, but there is a time delay with this, and some hardware may not be "popular" enough (or is too expensive) to even get someone to attempt to create a driver.

Good luck, Gary! Ask away if you have more questions.... many people here on the forums have much more knowledge that me, and maybe some have personal experience with 3D printing/scanning.

Cheers

Thanks for your response. In a weird way it's comforting to know that it's not just my lack of experience that's the problem.

Thanks for your response. I'm beginning to wish I'd never bought that printer to start with. I've watched revues and tutorials until I'm numb, but I can't get enough info to risk shelling out what is looking like over a thousand dollar investment. And at my age, I'm getting a very late start.
Better late than never, mate! By the way, you only have me by 6 years:p:p.

Happy Trails
Paul

Members online