Im new can I get some tips?

G'day Zazo, Welcome to Linux.org

Tip number 1. Learn how to ask a reasonable support question. At this stage your "question" will cause most, if not all, of the members here to groan...."not another one giving us no clues!!"

Details matter.

Have you had any experience of Linux at all?
What is your pc?....make, model...
What are its specs?...ram, hard drive/s, cpu, etc etc etc
Most importantly....what do you use it for?.....just browsing, YouTube, Facebook etc etc....or do you use it for other things?....

One way to decide which Linux to use, is to make up a bootable usb stick and try the various distros without actually installing them.

Talk to us, please.

There are lots of tips there... You might like:

Finally...

That'll save some time... Hopefully...

Welcome to the forums
there is no best distribution, only the best for you and your kit, try 5/6 different distributions with different desktops "live" find which works for you and which you like the look and feel of best

This is some question new user should be answering .
  • What look and feel are you going for ?
  • What software are you planing on using?
  • Do you meet the distro minimum requirment?
  • Do you need 32 bit or 64 bit ?
  • Do you need nonfree drivers ?
Most WiFi chips/cards in computers need nonfree drivers.

Last edited:
Hello @Zazo,
Welcome to Linux.org forums.
Here is a page that may be of help as you get started with Linux. My favorite Distro is Mint. Depending upon your equipment it should work well for you. Good Luck on your new venture.

Most WiFi chips/cards in computers need nonfree drivers.
Relax, Zazo....that does not mean you have to pay for them.

For example, in the middle of a Linux Mint install you would likely be asked if you wish to install nonfree drivers....The preferred response is Yes.

Hello @Zazo,
Welcome to Linux.org forums.
Here is a page that may be of help as you get started with Linux. My favorite Distro is Mint. Depending upon your equipment it should work well for you. Good Luck on your new venture.
Thank you very much

SO I found the download linux spot which one is the best?
Only the User can say, on an individual basis. As of this moment in time, I favor PCLinuxOS and am seriously considering Devuan Chimaera. But, then again, I use almost exclusively non-systemd distros, for personal reasons. To each his own!

Welcome!

As of this moment in time, I favor PCLinuxOS and am seriously considering Devuan Chimaera.
PCLinuxOS a Linux distro that works OOTB once I got used to how to do stuff in PCLinuxOS smooth sailing all of the time.

I've never tried Devuan Chimaera I'll have to give it a try I like Debian based distros and the fact it's systemd free is a plus imo.

I have to honest. every distro has similar kernel and similar desktop environments/window manger .the only differents is package manger and weather or not it point release or rolling relase. I like rolling release better .I want up to date security but can live with older programs/packages . If it a new pack it does not bother me

The only advantage I've found with a rolling release is never having to reinstall the distro as software is updated as it's released.

Rolling releases also offer a LTS kernel along with the latest stable kernel.

The only advantage I've found with a rolling release is never having to reinstall the distro as software is updated as it's released.

Rolling releases also offer a LTS kernel along with the latest stable kernel.
i understand that. what i dont understand why ubuntu and linux mint go out of their way to use generic . my main point their only a few tweaks to each Kenel and desktop environments/window manger that make them different

i understand that. what i dont understand why ubuntu and linux mint go out of their way to use generic . my main point their only a few tweaks to each Kenel and desktop environments/window manger that make them different
Maybe take a look into GoboLinux

Members online