I'm looking for a distribution without GNU tools

eronis

Reaction score
Credits
GNU always seemed bloaty to me. I also have problems with RMS's standing on freedom and prefer MIT/BSD licences. I've been considering switching to something else, but I don't want to compromise in term of usefulness. I also like up to date packages a lot. I use Arch Linux on my workflow and can't think of using something such as Debian, Cent OS or Ubuntu LTS due to their old packages. I've thought about switching to BSD, but I do not know which BSD to pick. Besides, it seems that BSD has some problems with performance compared to Linux. So, I've been looking for a OS without GNU. I've heard about Alpine Linux but couldn't be sure if it was right for me.

Thank you for reading this far, and I'm looking forward reading your recommendations :)

I've heard about Alpine Linux but couldn't be sure if it was right for me.
Alpine's great. I'd switch to it, but it doesn't run appimages and I use a few of those so...otherwise an excellent distro, specially its "APK" pkg manager; even faster and smarter than pacman, which IMO was the best one, now's the second best one :)

Is there any other distro besides Alpine that doesn't use GNU?

Is there any other distro besides Alpine that doesn't use GNU?
You will probably have to look at one of the BSD's if you want something without GNU.

Last edited:
GNU always seemed bloaty to me. I also have problems with RMS's standing on freedom and prefer MIT/BSD licences. I've been considering switching to something else, but I don't want to compromise in term of usefulness. I also like up to date packages a lot. I use Arch Linux on my workflow and can't think of using something such as Debian, Cent OS or Ubuntu LTS due to their old packages. I've thought about switching to BSD, but I do not know which BSD to pick. Besides, it seems that BSD has some problems with performance compared to Linux. So, I've been looking for a OS without GNU. I've heard about Alpine Linux but couldn't be sure if it was right for me.

Thank you for reading this far, and I'm looking forward reading your recommendations :)

Hi. I really recommend you to check out iglunix, but it isn't done yet. It's made by a friend of mine.

There's no reason to generate an alt to try again when you hit the filter. A mod will be along to approve it as soon as they can.

Is 'a friend of mine' actually you? It's okay if it is.

There's no reason to generate an alt to try again when you hit the filter. A mod will be along to approve it as soon as they can.

No, the friend of mine is ella-0 (didn't realize that she already sent an answer)

Also i don't think I triggered any filter I made this account today, and I don't remember if I have an old one or not.

Ah, okay. It'd have been fine if it was you. We have a couple of distro authors here.

It's great to see another non-GNU distro. I've tried BSD distros but to be honest, they are terrible in graphics performance.

Iglunix is wayland only (for now at least) with the latest mesa so graphics performance should be good.

sorry for necropost, but i find the suckless programs pretty good to replace gnu ones. to build your own system with it, you can follow Linux From Scratch, but instead programs for GNU coreutils/util-linux, build programs that needed for suckless core utilities (sbase, ubase, nmdev...). would be a long process, so first find a time :)

@eronis -- " . . . I also have problems with RMS's standing on freedom and prefer MIT/BSD licences."

Blasphemy! LOL. BSD or the learning curve of gentoo or wait for like-minded to come up with what is wanted. Best wishes!

Members online