I'm looking for a cloud service that can sync with Ubuntu

C

CrazedNerd

I've been using icloud and Microsoft OneDrive for years as backup, but neither of them seem to have syncing options for linux distros. Can any of you tell me about a cloud service that does? There's gotta be more than one...it would be nice if it were free as well but I would certainly be willing to pay a small subscription fee so that I can stop paying for my icloud space.

To be clear, it would be nice to be able to automate my backups instead of having to do it manually.

Dropbox and Mega.io (formerly mega.co.nz) have free tiers with Linux tools.

There's a OneDrive application in the default Debian/Ubuntu/Mint repos. I've never used it.

There's a OneDrive application in the default Debian/Ubuntu/Mint repos. I've never used it.
$3 per TB a month is certainly a good deal...but that OneDrive app might do the trick because 5GB is about all id need if i was using multiple sources...ill certainly be spending hours trying test drive all this stuff.

Mega has 20 GB for their free tier, I'm pretty sure. There are ways to get more, but those are temporary.

I've been using icloud and Microsoft OneDrive for years as backup, but neither of them seem to have syncing options for linux distros. Can any of you tell me about a cloud service that does? There's gotta be more than one...it would be nice if it were free as well but I would certainly be willing to pay a small subscription fee so that I can stop paying for my icloud space.

To be clear, it would be nice to be able to automate my backups instead of having to do it manually.
Why don't just mount OneDrive as external storage with rclone?

$3 per TB a month is certainly a good deal...but that OneDrive app might do the trick because 5GB is about all id need if i was using multiple sources...ill certainly be spending hours trying test drive all this stuff.
This page may give you other ideas to research. You should be able to find one that allows free storage. Good luck.

Why don't just mount OneDrive as external storage with rclone?
Lol, because i didn't know that it existed. I've been trying to figure out how to use the onedrive command that you can download, and then rclone is mentioned in the first video i've found that's related to this.

So far the onedrive command does what i need it to do...it was kind of a pain to figure out, but onedrive --synchronize --upload-only works which is the only think i wanted out of something on my end here...there was an issue with downloading through "--synchronize" though.

...but keep the comments coming in relation to linux-user-friendly cloud services, this is one of the more practical possible implementations of the command line, and computers ain't jack without user-created files!

This thread prompted my most recent article.

The onedrive command works fine, and i'm just happy that Microsoft's security allows me to do this with very little trouble...the only problem i have ran into is that when i tell it to "upload only", it still does a bidirectional sync: i tested this out as a crontab command, but unfortunately when i erased everything from OneDrive (through my browser) then it also erased everything in the OneDrive folder on my computer...so looks like i'm gonna have to think about this more before i get completely settled with everything today.

Or setup your own Nextcloud instance.

Or setup your own Nextcloud instance.
Does their software automatically sync with a local folder? That's really the only thing that matters, i'm good enough with crontab and linux command line that everytime i reboot my computer, any changes made to files i put in the OneDrive folder (created by the onedrive are automatically changed in my Microsoft cloud account...luckily, this is the case just because crontab does its thing right before onedrive does it's automatic syncing at boot. I kinda wanted to write a guide on how to get it set up and use it, but there are definetly better cloud services than microsoft OneDrive...and better linux utilities than onedrive...

I'm just asking because the Nextcloud website is fairly vague and enterprise oriented...how much space do they give an isolated individual for free?

Does their software automatically sync with a local folder?

I'm just asking because the Nextcloud website is fairly vague and enterprise oriented...how much space do they give an isolated individual for free?
With Nexcloud you can either use webdav or you can use the Linux Nexcloud client, if you use webdav it's instant since you basically mount webdav on a local location on your system. I don't have experience with the Nexcloud client on the desktop since I use nfs in my home network, the only place that I use the nextcloud client is on my phone so that I have access to my files on my phone when I am away from home. On my phone I have the app configured to automatically upload pictures I take so I would think the desktop client has an instant sync option as well, but you would have to try it.

Nextcloud sell stuff to businesses but their software is opensource. I run my own nextcloud instance at home but I think you can get a nextcloud instance from providers they promote but I don't have experience with that.

**Edit**
I just installed the client and it looks like it has a sync option because when opening it asks which local folder you want to sync to. I used the nextcloud client package from the default repos.
Code:
nextcloud-client.x86_64 : The Nextcloud Client

On my phone I have the app configured to automatically upload pictures I take so I would think the desktop client has an instant sync option as well, but you would have to try it.
I don't care enough about most of my smartphone pictures to do some sort of automatic backup deal. I've decided that i would probably best benefit from having one cloud service for the automated stuff (i bascially just want to back up my documents this way, since i'm always changing them...) and then another cloud service for completed music recordings and artwork, there doesn't seem to be much of a good reason to automate the latter since i don't like and delete so much of it. It might be worth it to have an auto-backup just for my music recordings on my smartphone but it seems pretty overkill since i'm a careful internet user and android is overall pretty secure/high-performance anyways.

I've had a MEGA a/c for three or four years, in addition to my Google Drive and a MediaFire a/c. The MEGA tool WILL sync to a local folder. From what I understand, DropBox's will, too.

I find the 'sync' feature very useful, given that I'm constantly uploading/updating/modifying stuff for the Puppy community. We even built our own two-pane GUI for the Google Drive, making use of Google's provided API. I haven't used this for a while, though I believe the API has now been deprecated....

Mike. :)

I think Nextcloud because is an open-source cloud storage solution that you can host on your own server or use with a cloud hosting provider. The Nextcloud client for Linux allows you to sync your files and folders with the cloud, and also includes features like file versioning and user management.

Members online