i'm in NAS/permissions hell!

Glad to have helped out! Just one question, why are use using ntfs filesystems on Linux for your other drives that are mounted: /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1? Leave it for what it is but it's not very efficient to use ntfs filesystems on Linux. You could probably change your permissions for those mount points to pi.pi as well and then remove the sudo from the first script as well. What does sync destination of the first script look like for permissions? Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
ls -l /mnt
ls -l /mnt/sde1
ls -l "/mnt/sde1/RESOURCE LIBRARY"

Last edited:

It worked! However, I rewrote the rsync command in the richcopy.sh with a spelling mistake, and they copied over into a newly created "PROJETS" rather than the existing "PROJECTS" ! So i've just corrected that and rerun the script and again no permission denied (13) email. Fantastic

The ntfs system, I used to have these hard drives (they're all portable SSD drives) connected to mine and my partners PCs. Could it be a hangover of being windows formatted? Attaching output for the ls commands below;

1613122960794.png

Glad to have helped out! Just one question, why are use using ntfs filesystems on Linux for your other drives that are mounted: /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1? Leave it for what it is but it's not very efficient to use ntfs filesystems on Linux. You could probably change your permissions for those mount points to pi.pi as well and then remove the sudo from the first script as well. What does sync destination of the first script look like for permissions? Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
ls -l /mnt
ls -l /mnt/sde1
ls -l "/mnt/sde1/RESOURCE LIBRARY"

You could probably change the whole directory structure permission of the directories: Neptune, sbc, sda1, sdb1,sdc1, sdd1 and sde1 to pi.pi since they are all users files and directories. How are the files in those directories getting placed there and do you have any more scripts running with "sudo rsync" in it?

Last edited:
All of those folders are only accessed by two windows PCs, they are a selection of project backup drives, or the resource library, or personal folders.
I think some of the folder are leftover from previous mounting attempts, just took a screenshot of the folder list (this is my layman's way of seeing the folder is empty) and it looks like Mars, Neptune, sbc, sda, sdb and sdc are empty - I should tidy up and umount them?

The only two rsync scripts I have are for the Jupiter and Resource library (sdc1 > sde1)
I think they follow this nomenclature because of a mounting tutorial .. with hindsight I would have named them with a little more intent.

Are those shared with Windows pc's through samba, so you have samba setup to share those directory structures or some other way?

Ah sorry, yes via Samba
Is everything working now as expected? I really don't want to go through your samba configuration to get it working with the pi user, I would say if everything is working now than I'd just say let's leave it at that.

Absolutely understand! You've been way more help than I hoped in the first place.
I sent off the backup via crontab at about 21:30 and I received the MAILTO at about 03:30, so assume it takes about 6 hours to copy over this latest project list
I just crontabbed again (to the correct spelling of the folder) at 09:30, so by 15:30 I should get the email! So far so good as there's been no permission denied email
Again, thank you!

Members online