I'm a Linux novice with a severe file-corruption problem

DaveGarber1975

Reaction score
Credits
My computer abruptly lost power and, when I attempted to reboot it, it now gives me these error messages and I feel completely lost how to deal with them...
20220118_193238.jpg

What is VMX? Why is the BIOS disabling it? How do I run fsck? What's an over-current condition? Where do I even begin to fix this? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220118_193238.jpg
    20220118_193238.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 281

G'day Dave, Welcome to Linux.org

Somebody else here will know more about this than I will...

Do you have a usb stick with your OS on it /

What is the OS?

Did anything else happen that was unusual before this....at all....?

and...how long has the OS been installed?

and...how long has the OS been installed?
I had my long-overdue Windows "exorcism" and Linux installation party last October, I think. I've kept the OS updated ever since. It was fairly problem-free ever since then until today's sudden power outage.

Was that an electrical power outage....or just something confined to your OS

What is your os?....Linux, ubuntu, .....

DO you have the usb with the live version of that OS on it ?

G'day Dave, Welcome to Linux.org

Somebody else here will know more about this than I will...

Do you have a usb stick with your OS on it /

What is the OS?

Did anything else happen that was unusual before this....at all....?
Thank you! I have a CD-ROM with Ubuntu Linux on it, which I used for installation, but not a USB stick. And I can't think of anything relevant until today. I have a backup power supply (with surge protection) but it ran out of power after getting used way too often today, so it wasn't able to help my computer to safely shut down during that final outage. I was sending an e-mail at the very moment my power died.

Was that an electrical power outage....or just something confined to your OS

What is your os?....Linux, ubuntu, .....

DO you have the usb with the live version of that OS on it ?
It was an electrical power outage. My room wall sockets are connected to the same circuit breaker as our downstairs parlor of sorts where my landlord is installing a kitchenette. I suggested putting it on a separate breaker, but he didn't bother. The fan and such that he was using to dry the paint kept overloading the circuit again and again and again. Hopefully, when he's done, I won't need to turn off my computer everytime I want to use the oven or something.

Last edited:
ok....insert the cd.....allow the puter to boot to it......then open a terminal..(Ctrl+alt+T)....then type...or better still copy and paste this line in and then hit enter....if it asks for your password type that in. If the password doesn't work, just hit enter instead

Code:
fsck /dev/sda2

ok....insert the cd.....allow the puter to boot to it......then open a terminal..(Ctrl+alt+T)....then type...or better still copy and paste this line in and then hit enter....if it asks for your password type that in. If the password doesn't work, just hit enter instead

Code:
fsck /dev/sda2
Alright, I pressed Enter to interrupt normal startup, asked it to boot from CD, selected something about safe graphics, watched it give me the same firmware bugs and over-current errors as before, and then start its own automatic disk checking. It doesn't look ready to let me open a terminal yet.

Alright, I pressed Enter to interrupt normal startup, asked it to boot from CD, selected something about safe graphics, watched it give me the same firmware bugs and over-current errors as before, and then start its own automatic disk checking. It doesn't look ready to let me open a terminal yet.
Now it's asking me if I want to try Ubuntu or to install it. I said to try it. It gave me those four errors again. But now I seem able to open a terminal.

Now it's asking me if I want to try Ubuntu or to install it. I said to try it. It gave me those four errors again. But now I seem able to open a terminal.
And so, as ubuntu@ubuntu, I tried the command suggested and... Permission denied! It says that I either need r/w access or to be root.

Ok...type su into terminal...hit enter

It will open the next line as root

then copy and paste the fsck /dev/sda2 in. Hit enter etc

When it starts 'doing its thing'....do NOT interrupt it....just let it go

Ok...type su into terminal...hit enter

It will open the next line as root

then copy and paste the fsck /dev/sda2 in. Hit enter etc

When it starts 'doing its thing'....do NOT interrupt it....just let it go
It's not letting me. It refuses to recognize my password. It also refuses to accept no password.

check that the caps lock is not on

Reboot and go through the boot up procedure for the cd again

The default username is ubuntu ....the default password is blank...just hit enter

VMX stands for Virtual Machine Extensions
There is one quick way (workaround) to remove the message: Go to your BIOS settings and enable the virtualization technology.

for your other problems ,you could first try the lazy way, switch on at the grub boot selection menu choose advanced options for ubuntu, then repair broken packages [this is easy and often works]

Another option is to boot the live CD when it has booted Open the "Disks" utility Highlight your HD and select "Repair filesystem" - see screenshot

1.png

I was looking for my link to that yesterday arvo, @KGIII ....David........couldn't find the ratty thing anywhere.....and was in a tearing hurry to go out the door. Thanks for that !

@Lord Boltar ....you too ! Does that use fsck automatically?

That should get @DaveGarber1975 sorted !

I'm *pretty* sure that it uses fsck. If not, they can easily run it from the terminal - and whatever scanner/repair it does use has historically done a good job. So, well, there's that.

Members online