I'm a computer student and new in Linux, recomendations?

Hisoka Morow

Reaction score
Credits
Regards
I'm a computer student and new in Linux,
I really like the issue of servers and server administration.
Is there any material I can study to learn how to create and manage a server in Linux?
as services: Web servers, print servers, network, backups, local transfer of files with accounts, etc ...

I currently have a pc with centos, where I am learning the basics
What else can I do with Linux in a business environment?
Recommendations? tutorials? courses?

I want to learn everything I can about Linux

Welcome to the site!

Having a PC with centos (or any other flavor) is a great start. Just keep reading through things on the internet.. we have a good number of articles and tutorials on this site, plus, there's plenty of other sites out there.

Keep learning tools, command line, etc.. and use it as often as you can.

Hello! And welcome to Linux.org and Linux in general :)

You will see, it's really amazing.

First, I would recommend you to set up a dual boot, permit you to switch time to time without impacting your workflow when you have time.

Then you will see there are many flavors, some are community driven, some others are backed by companies.

Generally, beginners start with Ubuntu ( backed by canonical ) or Debian ( community driven), Ubuntu is really easy ( more than Debian actually ) and dispose of a large documentation and community for help.

Then you can go to Cent os / Fedora ( backed by Red Hat / IBM) more made for the enterprise world, but also with a large community behind them.

If you want to learn by doing it yourself from the very beginning you can take a look at LFS (Linux from scratch) Gentoo (where you have to compile everything) or Arch, but be prepared to invest a lot of time in learning.

I hope that this little resume will help you to make your choice :)