Identifying which HDD driver is required for my 16.04 LTS Server installation

BigToeHunt

Reaction score
Credits
I am attempting to install 16.04 LTS Server on a Dell 2900 Poweredge with 3 HDDs. I am stuck at a screen prompting to choose the driver required for the HDDs I have installed. A long list appears and I can not find a way to know which driver I should select.

HDDs: all 3 are Western Digital WD1600JS-75NCB3

Is there a way to find out which driver I need for this setup? Some sort of database would be helpful but I have not found one or a set of instructions in order to find out the driver required.

In all the years that I've been installing Linux, dating back to 1998 (I think was my first installation) none have ever asked for a driver for the hard drive. Now granted I've always had standard IDE or SATA drives, until this laptop with an SSD. But never once was a driver asked for. What drive I wanted to install to was. Do you have something different on your computer, like a RAID controller card? SCSI controller card? If so, then you need to identify that controller and find the driver for it.

Looking at the spec sheet for the PowerEdge server, it shows this:
Optional PERC 5/i integrated SAS/SATA daughtercard controllerwith 256MB cache, PERC 4e/DC, PERC 5/e adapter
So maybe you need to find PERC in the list?

Last edited:
In all the years that I've been installing Linux, dating back to 1998 (I think was my first installation) none have ever asked for a driver for the hard drive. Now granted I've always had standard IDE or SATA drives, until this laptop with an SSD. But never once was a driver asked for. What drive I wanted to install to was. Do you have something different on your computer, like a RAID controller card? SCSI controller card? If so, then you need to identify that controller and find the driver for it.

I couldn't tell you without some direction as to how to find out the answer to that question.

Attached is the screen at which I am stuck.

IMG_0387.jpeg

Last edited:
well, you can look at the buildsheet that came with the computer. You could look at the purchase order for what was ordered. You could contact Dell and give them the serial number and ask what they sold you. You could open the server and see where the drive cables go. Do they go into SATA ports on the motherboard or do they go into a daughterboard? Unfortunately this last one isn't a guarantee because it's possible that there's a daughterboard for it regardless, just which daughterboard. I haven't opened a server in years and never a Dell. So I'd look to the other options first.

login in a "Live" USB distro. Run "lspci"
Post output here.

Members online

Latest posts