ideas on distro

william massey

Reaction score
Credits
have dell t5500, with 2 x5680 xeons ,24 gig ram, r9 390x , ssd and sata hd . me new to linux wanting to learn with gimp and blender maybe game never gamed b4 . i'm retired now have time . want user friendly stable fast ; also watch netflix vudu amazon prime spotify

Last edited:

from what i gather they distro are pretty much the same
Yeah, kind of like cars... they all have 4 tires, accelerator, brake, steering wheel, etc. The difference is in how they feel when you drive them (and cost). But Linux is free, so it only matters that you find the one that feels right for you as you use it. Take your time, look around. Welcome!

Cheers

Yeah, kind of like cars... they all have 4 tires, accelerator, brake, steering wheel, etc. The difference is in how they feel when you drive them (and cost). But Linux is free, so it only matters that you find the one that feels right for you as you use it. Take your time, look around. Welcome!

Cheers
yes and thank you i have downloaded several and made bookable usb's trying them live running off usb all seem to work the same just look different in small ways

G'day @william massey and welcome to linux.org :)

...i have downloaded several and made bookable usb's trying them live running off usb

This is a good opportunity to test if the Distros detect -
  • Printer/s, scanner
  • Sound card
  • Graphics card
  • Wifi connection
  • etcetera
Enjoy your explorations

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW @Peer ... like the new train avatar :D

Staff online