I'd really enjoy some community participation!

Keep 'em coming.

I completely forgot to share today's article before meandering off for a few hours. Oops!

Two things that come to mind for n00b's when performing a fresh install.

1. Go in the pc's BIOS under the boot section and make the USB device the first in the list.
2. Don't panic if your pc boot's directly into your Linux install.

That can easily be taken care of using the command line to update grub so that the next time the user boots their pc they will have the option to choose Windows or Linux.
To do that just run sudo update-grub.

I have one that hasn't been mentioned yet. How to find help for commands using man and info pages and where to look on the internet(documenation, wiki's etc), if you can't find what you are looking for in the info or man pages. The looking on the internet might be a bit broad as it can go for any software that you are having trouble setting up, but I think it's important that newcomers to GNU/Linux are able to help tools themselves which includes manpages, infopages, documentation,wiki's, search engines etc.

Last edited:
That's a good one. A number of the items mentioned in the thread aren't really what I'd suggest a rank beginner undertake. But, that's a good one. That's almost an entire article by itself. "How to research and learn."

I think (as a beginner) tips that focus on stuff that isn't in windows would be useful, especially stuff that people are likely to encounter/do wrong/struggle with first. I've just removed a load of KDE stuff (from Lubuntu) that I must've installed trying out docks. Things to look out for when adding repositories, dependencies, and so on.

A breakdown of the main desktop environments and what can and can't be done between them would be helpful. Some KDE stuff seems to work (with Lubuntu) and other stuff doesn't.

But... But... Why not? It gives me such a thrill! :p
Let's play a game...;)
let's_play_a_game.jpg

Last edited:
You can't run that on a number of modern distros. The system protects itself. You have to use --no-preserve-root to run it.

Test this in a VM, not in your real OS.

Actually, I'll just get y'all an image. I don't want y'all running that command just to find out.

Selection_078.png

You can't run that on a number of modern distros. The system protects itself. You have to use --no-preserve-root to run it.

Test this in a VM, not in your real OS.

Actually, I'll just get y'all an image. I don't want y'all running that command just to find out.

View attachment 9016
Wow, I didn't know about that.

Wow, I didn't know about that.

The change was made for obvious reason. Too many new/unaware people were getting tricked into running the command.

Staff online

Members online