I want to install Linux on my second drive while still having windows on my first one

Hugo56

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone !

I want to install Linux on my second ssd while still having win10 on my nvme ssd and switch between them. I’ve been looking for videos and tutorials but I’m still confused because it’s never the same way.

Some info on the situation :

- Windows 10 is installed on my C drive (nvme ssd)
-My empty 1TB where I want to install Linux, drive G

My pc specs are :

CPU : I7 10700k
GPU : GRTX 2070 super
Motherboard : MSI Z490 gaming edge

I’ve some questions :
-Some tutorials says that I need to disconnect the other drives, but since I have an nvme it’s a bit annoying, do really need to disconnect the other drive ?
-Do I need to change certains settings in windows before the installation ?
-Do I need to prepare my ssd drive before the installation ?

Let’s put those questions aside and start with the installation process :

-Install Ubuntu ISO file and make a bootable USB stick using Rufus.
-Shut down the pc, plug the USB stick and boot into the bios, then I choose the USB in boot option 1, but do I need to put in boot option 2 the empty ssd ? ( do i need to do something else in the bios ?)
-Boot in the USB, I should be in the ubuntu desktop with the option to install ubuntu.
-Choose keyboard etc, then I should have something like this : install Ubuntu alongside win10 and erase disk and install ubuntu or something else
-I would choose something else and select my ssd drive and install.

Now it’s pretty much done ? Like I know that I need to enter some cmd in the terminal but Is it the right process ?

I don’t really know which distro I’ll use, but I’ve a good pc and I know that some distro are too hard for me to use but I would like something not to easy as well.

If you have a tutorial page that relay to my case that I’ve missed give it to me so I don’t bother you too much. Thanks in advance for your answers, I’ll maybe ask other questions after because I feel like I forgot one or two question. Lastly, sorry if there is mistakes (I’m French, but I speak a bit English).

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums,
this is something I do often with external drives for testing, so this is the short version..
1] download your chosen distribution
2]burn a booable usb pendrive [make sure you check the Md/Sha sum
3]put pendrive into machine
4]switch on whilst tickling your short boot key [this will vary on make/model]
5] from the short boot menu, click on usb and enter
6] allow distribution to install a live session to the Ram
7] now test everything works ok [sound/graphics/printers etc]
8] if all ok the click install
9]when you get to partitioning select other, look for your second drive highlight and accept
it should now load to the selected drive, most distributions will ask if you wish to install propriety/non-free drivers, as a newbie tick and accept [this may save you a bit of work]

Bwiz

Ok thanks so i don't need to unplug my ssd and anything special

so i don't need to unplug my ssd and anything special
G'day Hugo56 and welcome. There is nothing to unplug leave your hardware setup the way it is and just follow @brickwizard instructions and just take your time and you will be fine.
I also learnt something as I was thinking of doing something similar.

If everything goes well you should end up with a dual boot system that will work for you.
One thing you may need to do is disable secure boot in your bios if possible.
this step by step tutorial may be of help:

Nik-Ken-Bah I'm currently trying different distros, but it's a bit hard to chose. I hesitate between Manjaro, POP os, Mint, and Garuda.

Thanks kc1di for the tutorial link.

Last edited:
I hesitate between Manjaro, POP os, Mint, and Garuda.
quite often we have people experiencing problems installing Pop OS. Mint is probably the easiest to install, Manjaro has a good following, cant comment on Garuda. as I have not tried it

Of the choices you listed I would go with Mint. But you may want to checkout MX-linux-KDE version also.

I'm going to go with Manjaro Gnome. I'm gonna star the linux install. Hope it goes well.

Well... in the installer, on the partition step, I’ve selected my empty drive to install manjaro, but since mine is empty I can go with replace a partition, or erase disk ? And also do I need to select a swap option ?

image.jpg

The swap partition will depend of if it's laptop and if you intended to hibernate the system You'll need swap if you do that. Also if you have minimal ram say 2GBS or less you'll want a swap partition. If not there is no real need for it. Just tell it to go ahead and use the whole drive if it's separate from your windows disk make sure before you erase your erasing the correct drive.
Most modern Linux systems will create a swap file if you do not have a swap partition not sure manjaro does that or not. Good Luck and enjoy the learning.

OK great i'm now on my fresh manjaro Linux, i struggled a bit with the priority boot because my MB bios is kinda weird but now it's all working. I'll see what i have to do after the fresh install, i saw people entering cmd so i'll check that. Thanks a lot for helping the noob that I am !

Members online

Latest posts