I tried everything but it did not work.

mrboichev

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I got this laptop Acer which work only in UEFI (at least from my experience}. I have successfully installed Linux on my old laptop several times ubuntu, mint and some others.So I tried to install Ubuntu,Mint and Kali several times on this Acer but it does not work. I burn the iso on USB, boot and start the installation. Everything is going well and installation finishes then I reboot and go straight to win10. Fast boot is off, secure boot is off. I watched many videos and read many things. EasyBCD does not recognize Linux also. I am trying this for few months. I also tried boot-repair method on Ubuntu not install mode from the USB. I also tried to install Ubuntu on clean hdd without windows and it does not boot also.Please, someone, help me.

Last edited:

Whe n you installed Linux did you install a Bootloader such as Grub.

I just install Linux kali on my old Toshiba laptop and it installs grub bootloader automatic itself, but when I do absolutely
the same on the Acer it does not install grub bootloader.

What MODEL of Acer is it?

which work only in UEFI (at least from my experience}

THEN GOTO BIOS AND change BOOT MODE TO LEGACY Press the power button to restart again Press "F2" Key 3-4 times when acer logo shows up Goto BOOT OPTION TAB Change Boot Mode : UEFI to LEGACY Goto Exit and click "Exit Saving Changes" Now we can install Windows 7,8 or 10 & any other OS
-

Last edited:
Installation from USB:
During acer boot keep pressing F2 - it will launch Boot Utility.
In [Main] tab select "F12 Boot Menu" to be [Enabled]. This allows us to select booting from USB device only for installation. By default it will always try to start from disk drive which is what we want.
In [Boot] menu choose "Boot Mode" to be [UEFI]. You can go with legacy but UEFI works just fine.
Plug in USB drive, Save Boot settings and reboot. Keep pressing F12 until you see "Boot Manager" menu.
Choose your USB drive (in my case it is USB HDD: General UDisk) and press Enter.

You will probably see something related to "security issue" with a blue menu and a hash tool utility.
From archlinux forum "You also need to enrol the hash of /arch/boot/...../vmlinuz" (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=166994)
After restart it will start with throwing a lot of exceptions:
"Jul 09 16:13:38 Wheatley kernel: nouveau E[ PFIFO][0000:01:00.0] SCHED_ERROR [ UNK06 ]"
This is not a stopping issue and we will fix that later.
For me first initialization just restarted laptop without a reason and returned back to boot menu but second time I saw prompt:
"root@archiso ~#" - success
smile.png

(installation and configuration of Arch...)

When we exit chroot, unmount all partitions and restart laptop without USB stick we will get "security error" -> "linux boot manager has been blocked by the current security policy"
Working solution described here(http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy...r-has-been-blocked-by-the-current/td-p/268548) says:
Use F2 during boot to get into "Boot Menu". Set supervisor Password, this will allow us to change "Security Boot" in "Boot" Tab to [Disabled]. Now after restart we should see boot menu and then prompt.
Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-592G - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=206517

If I try to install windows on legacy it says no drivers and I can not install it. When I try to install Linux on legacy it gives me an error (I can not remember what exactly was).

Thank you guys for the help you are all great I would not have done it without your help :D
So, in the end, I bought new SSD and now everything is good.

Members online

Latest posts