I still don’t understand what’s Linux for, can anyone explain?

Glitched

Reaction score
Credits
I’m very new to Linux and I have searched online for what Linux is. But the matter is I still don’t understand! Please explain

welcome not tried very hard then. if you search "what is linux" it returnd many pages of results

in short "LINUX" is the Kernal operating system around which have been developed over 1,000 diffrent distribution to run everything from your smart coffee maker, your car, your airliner, rour oil tankers, the space station, smart military hardware, and many others, 500 or so of thease distributions are for servers and desktops/laptops,

Last edited:
As Brickwizard says, strictly speaking "Linux" is just the kernel.....the part which enables your hardware - mobo, RAM, hard drive, GPU, etc - and your software - the OS itself plus whatever apps/programs you choose to run - to 'talk' to each other, and communicate between themselves......optimizing/allocating usage of resources, and ensuring everything runs as smoothly as possible.

The Linux OS itself is largely composed of utilities/programs/apps that were developed by the GNU Project back during the late 80s/early 90s. The one thing they were never able to get working properly was a kernel.....without which everything else was useless. Along came Linus Torvalds, a young Finn who developed the very first Linux kernel in 1991. It was a perfect fit with the GNU Project's "almost" OS.....and, technically speaking, GNU/Linux was born.

It's only common usage over many years that's shortened that to just "Linux". A fact about which the founder of the GNU Project, Richard Stallman, has never been very happy!

Mike. :p

Last edited:
welcome not tried very hard then. if you search "what is linux" it returnd many pages of results

in short "LINUX" is the Kernal operating system around which have been developed over 1,000 diffrent distribution to run everything from your smart coffee maker, your car, your airliner, rour oil tankers, the space station, smart military hardware, and many others, 500 or so of thease distributions are for servers and desktops/laptops,
@Glitched

The kernel is the machine code in any operating system that makes the basic aspects of a computer work: keyboard, mouse, hard drive...that all depends on having a kernel which works below the user space (the stuff that you see).

To answer your general question you use linux for all the same things you use any computer for.

Hello @Glitched,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.
This wikpedia give a brief history of the linux kernel.
In a nutshell Linux is the Kernel that was developed by Linus Torvalds and first released in 1991. It has grown and is now used and the basis of a great many Linux Distros. A Distribution of linux is system based on the linux Kernel with programs and perhaps a desktop GUI forming a usable system or OS. Hope you join the fun.

I just have to give some time to thinking this is a troll type question.

Maybe, i wonder why people come here and start saying stuff like this. Does nobody know how to look up instructions on the internet anymore? Maybe just loneliness and feeling awesome from getting responses? Other people are regularly a source of confusion for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux is just like Windows except that its free, its secure, its changeable, its easier to understand, its easier to use, it comes in many varieties, it has FREE applications that do anything windows does but it does them better, its better supported, its support is free, it makes users happy, it make users feel special, and on and on and on...AND ITS FREE!

They went to the trouble of creating a custom icon, but can't figure out what Linux is? They are likely a "one and done." I hope they prove me wrong.

@Glitched: Tell us more about why you are here and what you want to learn. Maybe you can tell us more about yourself, your interest, what prompted the question, etc.

Members online