I need your advice!

Dear community,

Thank you very, very much for your quick replies and great support. I have to confess, I was very touched to receive so many nice and welcoming comments.

Well, I have been reading and pondering a lot and I am leaning towards Lubuntu 18.04.4 Bionic Beaver LTS (LXDE) 32 bit. I have not installed it yet because I am waiting for two cards of RAM from Amazon.

I hope to learn a lot and be able to return all this good will and positive energy.

My best regards to you and your families,

George1960
You're Welcome-:)

ok this is one way of going about it.

You will put the install iso onto a usb stick:

iso's are here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/bionic/release/

There are a few approaches to putting an iso onto a usb; i won't go into way it can be done via a terminal.

So tools to put onto a stick include(can't remember which versions, for both Windows and Linux except can confirm Ventoy does ) :

unetbootin
rufus
etcher
Ventoy

So ventoy is here:

left click on link that says :ventoy-1.0.08b1-windows.zip

it will then have a download pop up ; choose save file.

you will get a .zip file in your downloads.
Drag and drop that to your Desktop and also the lubuntu-18.04-alternate-i386.iso

you need to unzip the ventoy.zip .

Once unzipped look inside and you will see an .exe
file. At this point attach a blank usb stick say 4 gig to pc and make sure you have nothing else attached that migth confuse use. Double click on exe and follow instructions .

If you look at the first image you will see that i'm just drag and dropping iso into the stick after Ventoy has formated it. Thats all you have to do. I have 5 iso's on my stick as you can see. You will see a similar splash when you have done above; powered off computer. Power back up and hit F9 keybard Key , or esc to get to boot options. It will be something like "Kingston Hd usb" . Then you should see splash. Hit return button

Attachments

• ventoy_drag_n_drop.jpg
    ventoy_drag_n_drop.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 325
  • ventoy_splash.jpg
    ventoy_splash.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 348
i've just tested the lubuntu-18.04-alternate-i386.iso on my 64bit laptop and went as far as choose language choose , geographical time zone etc .So it should be good. Just want to add my pc is 64 bit but the i386 means it will run on 32 bit intel

Last edited:
Linux Mint is a distro I used on my wife's ancient laptop and it worked quite well. It has a striking similarity in set up to Windows, so her learning curve was short.

@Lechter69 .....and that is why I continue to suggest/recommend Linux Mint to all people new or otherwise to Linux.

It is the simplest approach to becoming acquainted with Linux. Some of the harder heads like to convey the impression that LM is in some way "less than" other Linux type OS's, but this is not the case.

I started with Linux Mint some 5 years ago, thinking that once I got the hang of using it I would move on to bigger and better things.

I am still using LM. What can I say..?....it does everything I need and then some ! the word unbreakable springs to mind.... (with the caveat that it must have Timeshift installed and operating to cope with a few of my more "out there" moments)

Last edited:
i'm totally unbiased and i guess nobody goes from start, direct to their holy grail of linux (slackware) ; no there is usually a pilgrimage with stops along the way. I've looked at kali , with a string of garlic around my neck and crucifix in hand, and other distro such as Mint. I have to say i did like Mint . Can't actually remember why i moved on . One good feature is that the iso boots up live ; but has an icon on Desktop to install. That means you can play with it .Probably go for something with a lightish Desktop maybe xfce ? So you could try linuxmint-19.3-xfce-64bit.iso (no not that one; your pc is 32 bit !! ) google for download link. What ever iso you want process with ventoy is the same. You can have a few iso's on same stick if you can whittle down your choices.

Some of the harder heads like to convey the impression that LM is in some way "less than" other Linux type OS's, but this not the case.
This is very true. Basically all Linux Distros have the same capabilities. The basic difference being what is included 'out-of-the-box'. The penetration testing and/or 'hacker' tools found in distros such as Kali and Parrot or BlackArch can usually be installed in any mainstream Linux distro.
It really boils down to Ford vs Chevy.
direct to their holy grail of linux (slackware)
LOL :p
I think for a lot of people, me included, after using Linux for a while you reach a point where you require less hand-holding, want to take the training wheels off, and have more control over your system and environment.

Members online