I need help!

I have used Rufus previously on Windows. Version 2.18 is the last one to work with XP
Excellent tip! It's good to know there is at least one XP option for David to use. :)

Here's the best place to start
Well, "best" is a bit subjective, but Linux Lite is definitely a great choice to try. So is Zorin Lite, and Lubuntu, and quite a few within reach of David's hardware capabilities.

Last edited:
David, one of the things that was not mentioned, in the specs I found for your Acer, was whether it had USB ports available.

Can you tell us if there are (and if so, how many), or if it is just the CD/DVD burner-player that is available?

If the latter, then burning solutions such as Rufus and Etcher are irrelevant, and you will need to use an iso-burning solution for optical media, I don't know that there is one for XP but can check.

Friday here in Oz, so Avagudweegend

Wizard

If you have no usb ports.....the above should do it

David, one of the things that was not mentioned, in the specs I found for your Acer, was whether it had USB ports available.
Wizard
Front/Top Panel Ports
USB 2.0
2 x USB 2.0 (Type-A)

Back Panel Ports
USB 2.0
2 x USB 2.0 (Type-A)

Scoop, thanks Nelson

then a rolling release might suit; there is never a new release to upgrade to, since its constantly updated
Very true however; some of the updates to rolling releases can be 1 gig or more at a time.

i guess i will be able to comment on that(size of updates rolling release) , since my laptop is now a dual boot of Slackware and now Vanilla Arch(instead of EndeavourOS) . Its a bit tight on space with an SSD of only circa 50 gig . The slackware is current but a year old - it will be too much of a jump to system upgrade to release of slackware 15. Slackpkg updates only packages already existing along with manual install of kernel, firmaware and headers.

So my choice is going to be clean install on whole of HD of slackware 15 or if Arch works out delete slackware and stretch partition that Arch is using into the free space created .

With either the jump to a new release or the sixe of updates i guess you just can't win

i guess i will be able to comment on that(size of updates rolling release) , since my laptop is now a dual boot of Slackware and now Vanilla Arch(instead of EndeavourOS) . Its a bit tight on space with an SSD of only circa 50 gig . The slackware is current but a year old - it will be too much of a jump to system upgrade to release of slackware 15. Slackpkg updates only packages already existing along with manual install of kernel, firmaware and headers.

So my choice is going to be clean install on whole of HD of slackware 15 or if Arch works out delete slackware and stretch partition that Arch is using into the free space created .

With either the jump to a new release or the sixe of updates i guess you just can't win
Maybe upgrade to a SSD of 150 GB's if you can?

That way you can have the best of Slackware and Vanilla Arch.-:)

250GB...it is usually the sweep spot as far as price is concerned.....more bang GB for your buck.

Members online

Latest posts