I just installed Artistx 13.04. The problem is, Video playback on any browser, is screwy. When I f

O

oldhobo

I just installed Artistx 13.04 and was liking it until, I decided to check out youtube. The video was screwy, it loaded with black, normal size screen, for a split second, then the picture showed up on the left half, with weird coloring . I have since then, found in any browser, I have the same problem. Also I tried a DVD, only to find it won't play, with any program, the best it does is open the folders.

Last edited:

Can you write your post in the box and not in the title. What are you saying?

No wonder I was having trouble with the post. My mind is in a fuzz right now from trying to solve the problem, but I think I said what was happening when I edited my post. Right now, I need to shut down this and the trouble computer, and rest my head for at least an hour, maybe ten.

ArtistX is based on Ubuntu. Ensure that you have ubuntu-restricted-extras. If necessary, connect to the Internet and in a Terminal, issue the command: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I do have Ubuntu restricted Areas. I'm not going to get many more headaches with this. I hate having to boot Windows to watch video. I might have to reformat the partition, and re-install? If that doesn't work, I might have to download and burn the ISO again. The image below actually is clearer than on the computer. I guess it's because it's been shrunk
Screenshot from 2014-01-16 09:40:24.png

This is confusing. Is the following all one command, or what?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

$ Sudo-E wget - output-document = / etc / apt / sources.list.d / Medibuntu.List (I HAD TO TAKE OUT THE LINK TO POST).-cs) && list sudo apt-get - quiet update && sudo apt-get - yes - quiet - allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get - quiet update

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I KNOW THE FOLLOWING IS A NOTE

* Update of the last part, so stopped, premature ending with ctrl + C?

i KNOW THIS IS ONE COMMAND

$ Sudo apt-get install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu

THEY PUT GREEN PROBLEM SOLVED, BUT ON DOWN THE PAGE I SEE THEY ARE STILL HAVING A PROBLEM.

GOING BACK TO BED, WAKE ME IF YOU FIND MY SANITY

&& joins commands in the sequence written, to answer one Q

trizen's GTK-YouTube Viewer may be one option for one aspect of your original Q, although it is written for Mint.

as arochester said, the medibuntu repositories are now defunct -- all one need do is
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
to enable what once took what you wrote in #7 (Use sudo, if necessary, in front of each command above)

I played around with ArtistX a few versions ago and found apparent conflicts between Mplayer and Totem (I think), especially. I think i'd try going with either Mplayer and/or VLC and remove all other players. It's really loaded down with apps!

Q: are you familiar with editing /etc/apt/sources.list ?

I updated once after the install, so i tried the old linux. The problem still existed, so I went to the recovery mode, then did normal boot. It worked great, but when I rebooted, it was back to the same old same-o. How can i get it to stay, with out re-install

I do have, ubuntu-restricted-extras , as stated earlier.
I appreciate all of the tries at helping. as I'm not much of an expert or even a good user, and I figure whatever the problem is, I must have caused it

It sounds as if a reinstall is the best bet, given circumstances as they exist.
Be thankful it's not as if it were like installing that thing that gives the BSOD!
Welcome to the world of GNU/Linux, oldhobo!

I decided to chek out the live distro again, only this time I checked out youtube. I found the Distro, had the same problem. I don't know why it worked after restore, then boot, but it doesn't work from DVD, or regular boot.

I've downloaded other distro ISO's, and I'm looking over them for awhile, but it looks like I'm going to install AVLinux. A t least if I do, there isn't a big excess of programs to decide if I want to keep, or uninstall. I didn't see Gimp, or any Gimp based programs, So I will have to install one, no biggy. Seems like there isn't much I use, that it lacks, and it's not full of programs, I'll probably never use.

Thank all of you.

Ok... I was a little late to this thread, but I'll leave suggestions anyway: install the latest proprietary video driver and, if it doesn't eliminate the issue, different versions of restricted extras - they all are essentially the same, but some details can save your install. You hardly have to re-install a distribution because of a problem like that. Good luck :)

It sounds as if you are figuring it out -- good!
Here's a reference book that, although it is not your particular distro, may help with config files.

Staff online