I just found a really annoying bug on Kali

C

CrazedNerd

There's a certain password i have, i've been using it for over 10 years, it's not easy to guess but it's pretty weak...

Anyways, whenever I type the thing in, no matter how fast i get it right probably about 99% of the time. I had left my laptop on in order to transfer some programming files from here...i use the aforementioned password to lock my system (i'd honestly leave it unlocked except for installation because the stuff i leave on computers tends to be pretty inconsequential on their own...), and the password wouldn't work! I typed the damn thing over 10 tends, going really, really slow, and then i KNEW that this was not user error but OS error. So, I turned off my computer, turned it back on, and the password worked. Isn't this a strange bug?? Maybe I need to update.

Did you have caps lock depressed perhaps?

No way, i made sure that it was the right caps, and i even tried the opposite caps version (the OG password had one caps and all lower case, so i reversed it so that it was all caps and one lower case)

it really is encouraging because it's another example of how vulnerability is the middle name for all computers! Not saying that i want to be a black hat or anything, but it affirms security as an interesting subject matter.

When it happens again, check the auth.log file what you see there for those times that it doesn't accept it.

Could be an x-session error, or an interrupted update or it may be a lightdm issue
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get remove lightdm
Code:
sudo apt-get install lightdm
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade -f

I typed the damn thing over 10 tends, going really, really slow, and then i KNEW that this was not user error but OS error. So, I turned off my computer, turned it back on, and the password worked. Isn't this a strange bug??
No it's been on my laptop for over 6 months

Does your laptop keyboard look like this in the blue box below? Note how the letter keys also have numbers! Does your 10-year old password use some of these keys?
numlock.png

If your keyboard is similar, and if before you locked your screen you accidentally activated this "feature" (Numlock or Fn+Numlock)... then you would not have realized that you were typing in these changed keys because typing your password is masked so you can't see it.

The purpose of this "feature" is to temporarily activate a dedicated numeric keypad on a keyboard that doesn't have one... allowing you to do a lot of numeric data entry more quickly and easily.

Anyway, it's a rare error, but not the OS fault, if this is what happened. It has bit me in the butt before, so I usually think of it when people say they enter a password correctly but it is not accepted... especially on a laptop.

Cheers

Members online