I hope this correct forum

Baddc053

Reaction score
Credits
I believe my issue is more software than hardware.

After today's reboot I've been having problems with the program BRACKETS.

When I save something I'm working on, I save it 3 times to different drives. Lost enough stuff that to make it necessary. Heck, last week I lost 20 years of saved images for my website. Tonight I lost my password list & appointments list.

After the reboot 2 of the 3 saves worked flawlessly, not the 3rd. I get a file save error.
I tried going to permissions for that drive, pretty much it told me to take a hike, it ain't going for it.
I searched online and found something that said before I run the program I should go to terminal and execute a sudo command.
Would I do this for Brackets specifically? Or do I need a different path?
Everything ran great before the reboot, but it put a hex on me afterwards.

BTW I'm jealous of everyone in the UK who got to see the Northern Lights, Fiancee said they were amazing.

G'day @Baddc053

You're going to have to tell us a whole lot more, before we can help, have a read of

https://linux-tips.us/how-to-ask-a-good-support-question/

Questions that spring to my mind include, but are not limited to

What is BRACKETS?

What distro are you using - name version, and desktop environment?

Do you have Timeshift installed, and use it?

and on and on

My crystal ball is in at the shop for maintenance, so I have no idea unless you help me/us to help you, and I have not the time to wander through your other Posts to find out where you are.

BTW I don't cast hexes on people, so it wasn't me - I just mesmerise people with my scintillating wit and magnetic personality (makes compasses spin towards me)

I'll be back on my tomorrow (Australia)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

With focused visual tools and preprocessor support, Brackets is a modern text editor that makes it easy to design in the browser. It's crafted from the ground up for web designers and front-end developers.

I'm Curious, mate, is this only for windows and mac?

Happy Trails
Paul

Last edited:
G'day @Baddc053

You're going to have to tell us a whole lot more, before we can help, have a read of

https://linux-tips.us/how-to-ask-a-good-support-question/

Questions that spring to my mind include, but are not limited to

What is BRACKETS?

What distro are you using - name version, and desktop environment?

Do you have Timeshift installed, and use it?

and on and on

My crystal ball is in at the shop for maintenance, so I have no idea unless you help me/us to help you, and I have not the time to wander through your other Posts to find out where you are.

BTW I don't cast hexes on people, so it wasn't me - I just mesmerise people with my scintillating wit and magnetic personality (makes compasses spin towards me)

I'll be back on my tomorrow (Australia)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Brackets is the program I use for text/HTML editing, Similar to Bluefish.
My distro is: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal & 8GB RAM
Yes, I use/update Timeshift. I checked it to see if it would fix problem. It didn't.
Problem occurred when I was doing a save, Screen flickered/stalled a second and the rest is history.

As I mentioned I save files in triplicate and 2 out of 3 worked great. The 2 that saved were on 64GB thumb Drives, the one that failed was on a 2TB Seagate external SSD..Barely 3 months old.
It only happens within Brackets. If I could find a similar program that worked as well (Bad choice of words there) I'd switch.

I knew I was doomed when the screen flickered, but was so fast I couldn't abort. Not worried about yourself or anyone from here doing hexes, Ya all are very helpful.
Just annoyed, I had 20 years of images collected that weren't watermarked and they got sucked up some black hole in less than a heartbeat.

Thank You

With focused visual tools and preprocessor support, Brackets is a modern text editor that makes it easy to design in the browser. It's crafted from the ground up for web designers and front-end developers.

I'm Curious, mate, is this only for windows and mac?

Happy Trails
Paul
It's for multiple platforms. I have a Love/Hate relationship with it, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I think that loosing 20 years worth of images would tip the scales in favor of hate:eek:! I'm just saying ....

Yup.
It was all stuff I collected before all these little boiler room companies started watermarking things, claiming it was theirs. I had stuff that would make them mouth watering jealous.
Gone in less than a blink of an eye.

Back in the day, one could use a tool like "Norton Utilities", or "Doctor Solomon"s Magic Bullet" to recover files which were deleted, because they were actually still there. Only the first character of the file name was changed, although I cannot remember what they were changed to. I'm thinking that it was $, but I'm not sure, it was a couple years ago (DOS days, don't ya know!). You could use Norton to restore the first character and, if you had not written to the drive again, restore all the files. I did this a few times, back in the 80s, while serving as a NATO Tech Rep. I would get a call from a frantic user who had (in the root of the drive of course) issued the command delete *.*:eek: I set up a bootable floppy which I called my "Witch Doctor" disk, and saved the day more than once. I would use Laplink 5.0 a lot also. I had the serial and parallel cables in my bag on every trip I made. Much later in life, I had to set up a Netware 3.5 server in Taiwan, to service a large group of industrial robots. The laplink came in handy there also. Those were the days, my friend!

Last edited:
Back in the day, one could use a tool like "Norton Utilities", or "Doctor Solomon"s Magic Bullet" to recover files which were deleted, because they were actually still there.

It's slightly more complicated today, but there's "PhotoRec" which, despite the name's implications, will happily recover all file types - including photographs.

It is not a quick process...

Back in the day, one could use a tool like "Norton Utilities", or "Doctor Solomon"s Magic Bullet" to recover files which were deleted, because they were actually still there. Only the first character of the file name was changed, although I cannot remember what they were changed to. I'm thinking that it was $, but I'm not sure, it was a couple years ago (DOS days, don't ya know!). You could use Norton to restore the first character and, if you had not written to the drive again, restore all the files. I did this a few times, back in the 80s, while serving as a NATO Tech Rep. I would get a call from a frantic user who had (in the root of the drive of course) issued the command delete *.*:eek: I set up a bootable floppy which I called my "Witch Doctor" disk, and saved the day more than once. I would use Laplink 5.0 a lot also. I had the serial and parallel cables in my bag on every trip I made. Those were the days, my friend!
I wouldn't mind buying something if it would fix the problem, I just can't figure out what went FUBAR on me. I could maybe understand it happening on one drive, but ain't no way I can comprehend why they vanished on all 3 back-ups I made. That was the reason I did it in triplicate, to prevent that. And then...just like that...I had my disk space back. Images, password list & Doctor appointments.
Good thing I haven't had a beer in 30 years, or I'd be starting again ;)

Heck Yeah...I remember the Good Old Days. I started on a Commodore 64, and never looked back. My Dad was almost 70 and he was interested too, got him one of them old units that you could hook up to your TV and use it that way. Was dial up, slow as all get out, but made his day.

It's slightly more complicated today, but there's "PhotoRec" which, despite the name's implications, will happily recover all file types - including photographs.

That would be a tough one to answer, I've been interested for years, just dabbling with it. 3 years ago I switched it on one of machines...and actually started using it. When my kidneys went south and I started home dialysis is when I switched all to Linux. Had 12 hours a day to do something, so I did that. Pretty much still wet behind the ears, but learning things all the time. Don't forget more than I teach myself, which is a good thing.

I don't imagine that it is, sigh....

I don't imagine that it is, sigh....

I should test it on an NVMe M.2 SSD to see how well it performs. I'd expect that to be significantly faster.

Members online

Latest posts